We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 month in India

liege
1 post
Save Topic
1 month in India

Hello,

I am just retiring from work and want to go 1 month in India.

My brother says Rajasthan is best and also Kerala.

Give ideas. Also reading forums because now have time.

I am prefer car with best driver.

Thanks for ideas.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 month in India

hi

first of all you should careful about the month of traveling in India, if it is in hot whether then better to taravel in himalyan, otherwise i would suggest you to go Rajasthan first then to Kerala.

travel safe

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 month in India

If you have one month you will be able to see a lot.

Make sure you pick one of the good months to travel.

October 15 to March 15 is best and I like January myself as it is cool then in Rajasthan. Your brother is right, Rajasthan is a great place to visit with maybe extension to Varanasi/Benares or one week in Kerala.

India
Level Contributor
390 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 month in India

Kerala is much better but if you have a month you can see substantially more than just Kerala. As another member correctly points out, summer has begun with a vengeance. After summer, the Indian monsoons set in so if you can, try and do your vacation from end September onwards. You can hire a car and driver anywhere in India, estimate around INR 1500 per day for a small car - eg. Indica, with driver. What are your interests, what would you like to see or do in particular - monuments, architecture, wildlife, beaches, mountains, culture ? Accordingly you can plan your itinerary.

You will find enough posts on tripadvisor about all the popular destinations.

Delhi
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 month in India

Hi,

Since you have 01 month it is good amount to cover all the mentioned destinations. First of all finalise the bucget of the tour and then plan the route.

Regards

Sachin

NJ
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 month in India

If you go to Rajasthan, I would recommend Dara Singh of Real Rajasthan Tours as a very good tour driver. He is safe, reliable, honest, and has excellent suggestions as to what to visit. We just returned from a short trip to Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, and Hyderabad. I would definitely return and spend more time in Rajasthan. Contact him at darasinghin@yahoo.com.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 month in India

India is a land of amazing diversity, with a rich cultural heritage, stunning landscapes, and beautiful people. If you have a month, then try and get a feel for the variety of cultures rather than just one single mono-culture.

It is probably a good idea to break the trip into two or three parts. That way, you can cover all the must-see tourist attractions, but also have time to truly discover the essence of the country - its people, cuisines, art forms and religions.

In North India, you can easily spend a week visiting Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan. Delhi is a city rich in Mughal history. Agra is home to the Taj Mahal, Emperor Shah Jahan's memorial to his wife. The desert state of Rajasthan is stunningly beautiful, with its grand forts and palaces and camel safaris. If you enjoy wild life, try a visit to Rajasthan's famous Ranthambore tiger sanctuary. If you have more time, you could visit Varanasi, an ancient pilgrimage spot on the banks of the Ganges. And if you want to get away from it all, there are spas and retreats in the snowy Himalayas.

South India is home to lush tropical forests, beautiful beaches, temples and ruins. Starting at Mumbai, you could visit Goa (relax on the beaches of this old Portuguese colony), Hampi (the magnificent ruins of the Vijayanagara Empire), Nagarhole (elephant sanctuary), and Kerala (God's own country!) to experience the unique culture of the southern states.

This is just a small sample of the things you can do. Depending on your interests, there are several other options. You can visit the mountain state of Leh-Ladakh, or follow the Buddhist trail that leads to Bodh Gaya, where the Buddha attained enlightenment. If you're interested in trekking, wildwater rafting and climbing, there are several possibilities in the Himalayas. For wildlife and birding enthusiasts, there are several sanctuaries to visit. If you're spiritually inclined, perhaps you'd like to spend a week or two learning yoga and meditation in a quiet ashram. For those who wish to volunteer with NGOs, there are several possibilities in small villages as well as large cities.

Whatever it is that interests you, post it here, and all of us will try and help you figure out how to do it.

7. Re: 1 month in India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 01:47