We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bhutan Trip

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
444 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Bhutan Trip

I am looking for the districts of interests in Bhutan. If someone here can share me the districts of tourist interest, I can find the places of interests then. Please share.

I would also like to know that is it possible to base at Thimphu and visit the places of interests hiring a vehicle on full day basis? I have a plan to hire a vehicle and visit the zones (east, west, central and south), each zone a day. is it possible to cover the places of interests of a particular zone in a day if we have our own vehicle (hired)? If not please suggest. I will make the plan accordingly. I want to cover all the zones in my trip. Let me know how many days I need to stay in Bhutan to complete all the zones and places of interests there.

Any feedback or response will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Abhijit

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
444 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bhutan Trip

@Bhutantraveller: Thanks for your feedback. The places I want to visit are Paro, Thimphu, Punakha, Wangdue, Bumthang, Trongsa, Thobjika Valley. Can you please make a plan for me. Is it good to visit Paro first and then visit other places? I guess Bumthang will be the last point, let me know if I am wrong. In case Bumthang is the last point of our trip, do I need to come back to thimphu to stay a night and then move to Phuntsholing? Can I get all the permits from Phuntsholing on providing the necessary documents or I must get permit from Thimphu?A response will be helpful.

@Oneirodynic S: Thank you so much for your contribution. Let me know if I am required to obtain permit from both Phuntsholing and Thimphu. I thought I can get all the required permits from Phuntsholing only.

@mlguitar: Thanks for taking out time and posting here to help me. I really appreciate. Can you please make a plan for me? The places of interests I want to visit are mentioned above in this post. Please have a look and suggest an itinerary.

I really appreciate all the members to taking out time and posting in this forum. I really need your help to make a perfect tour plan. I don't travel with agents, I love traveling by own. Looking forward to responses. :)

Regards,

Abhijit

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bhutan Trip

Day 1 : Phuntsholing to Thimphu (No sightseeing)

Day 2 : Thimphu (sightseeing in Thimphu)

Day 3 : Thimphu to Trongsa (Only sightseeing on the way)

Day 4 : Trongsa to Bumthang (after sightseeing in Trongsa, drive to Bumthang)

Day 5 : Bumthang (sightseeing in Bumthang)

Day 6 : Bumthang to Phobjikha Valley (sightseeing on the way)

Day 7 : Phobjikha to Punakha (Dochula pass and sightseeing in Punakha)

Day 8 : Punakha to Paro (either sightseeing in Punakha in the morning or sightseeing in Paro in the late afternoon)

Day 9 : Paro (sightseeing in Paro, including hiking to Tiger Nest)

Day 10 : Paro to Phuntsholing (No sightseeing)

Based on my guided tour experience, this is a brief itinerary I can think of for you. However, you must take into consideration the time you need to take in getting your road permit to visit towns beyond Thimphu. Hence, you might need to stay one more night in Thimphu if necessary.

This itinerary will cover the different towns you want to visit but might not be able to cover all the places of interest. For example, you might want to stay one more night in Phojikha valley in order to explore the valley. You also need to factor in the time spend to find hotels. This will give you lesser time for sightseeing.

The autumn night in Bhutan will start very early as the sun will hide itself behind the mountains at around 4 to 5pm. By 6.30pm, it will be dark. Hence, try to finish your sightseeing before sun sets.

Just to share something on my second trip to Bhutan. I was still on the mountain road after the sun sets. Frankly, I think it is rather dangerous as there was no light avaliable anywhere in the mountains. Only the light from your own vehicle and incoming vehicles. With all the turning right and left in the pitch dark mountains, any careless mistakes from the driver, you will be going down the steep cliff just next to the road. Because my headache was so bad, I don't have time to think of that at that time. I just prayed that I reached Bumthang safely. I believe that Bhutanese are used to travel in the dark. But nevertheless, I don't think I want to gamble my life if I have the choice.

That's all I can help you. Happy planning.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bhutan Trip

As you asked me several questions:

I 'm sorry,but cannot make an itinary, I am only a frequent visitor, not a travel agent, and making an itinary is a responsible task. You can, as done before, make your own itinary on which I can comment.

As far as I know, permits have to be obtained in Thimphu, for all travel outside the area and all visits to monuments. From Bumthang you have to drive the only road back to the west to Thimphu and Paro. For the drive to Puentsholing you'll need many hours, so better stay the night before in Thimphu or Paro.

If you have time, please read in the top questions, the trip reports, they really help in giving you an idea about the distances you can cover and what is interesting on the way.

Edited: 13 March 2013, 17:23
Sibsagar
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Bhutan Trip

We four families went to Bhutan through M/s B K Tour & Travels. Traveller provided us with two Innova Cars. On the very first day when we reached Phuentsholing we were left in the Hotel and cars were taken away, to roam around without vehicle and guidance. Next day when we reached to Paro, same thing was repeated, we were left in the Hotel at around 4 PM. After a lot of discussion we got the drivers ready to leave us in the Market to roam around and to have our dinner. Every day drivers gave problem and kept insisting to reach hotel early.

It was the last day of the journey and we were going from Thimpu to Jaigaon, and one of the diesel tank of the two vehicles got dry in the midst of the difficult hills. We all the four families with ladies and small children were very impatient as It was a rainy day and full of clouds and fog and we were to reach Alipore Dwar to catch our Train. Now driver started bagging for diesel from the other travellers. Somehow with the mercy of the some travellers we got some diesel but when a diesel car gets dry it takes air and gives lot of truble in starting. After 3-4 hours we could start and reached at around 8 PM to Jaigaon.

When we met Mr B K Prasad proprietor of M/s B K Tour and Travel, in his office, and complained about the aforesaid episode, he instead of feeling sorry and expressing sympathy, started shouting at us saying that..... it is a common phenomena (fuel tank of a vehicle getting dry on the way)...... and happens .......with even Aeroplanes. When we asked if it happens with Aeroplanes, then Aeroplanes might fall, he shouted and said ..... YES..... We were shoked and amazed at the behaviour of Mr Prasad (proprietor of the Travel agency).

We were feeling exploited and harassed by goon like inhuman behaviour of M/s B K Tour and Travel. As we had to catch our train from Alipore Dwar we did not much argued but we would strongly recommend to those who are reading this feedback not to engage M/s B K Tour and Travel.

Thanks

Y K Jain 09435717833

Sibsagar
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Bhutan Trip

About Tour Operator for a visit to Bhutan and surrounding areas.

16. Re: Bhutan Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Thimphu