We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

We just returned from a wonderful safari which included 4 days of gorilla trekking. My husband and I do a lot of wildlife photography, and our vacations are planned around this activity. We have been to Africa on several occasions and this time decided we wanted to visit the gorillas. We planned our trip through Churchill Safaris, based on good recommendations on these forums and we were very pleased. Ether, the owner, was great to work with and even made some last minute changes to our itinerary. Our driver/guide Emmy was wonderful - very personable, knowledgeable, and a safe driver. We would use Churchill Safaris again in a heartbeat.

We flew into Kigali, did 2 days of gorilla trekking in Bwindi (Uganda) and 2 days of trekking at Volcanoes (Rwanda), driving between the two. We loved both experiences. I would say generally that the hiking (and viewing location) is much steeper in Uganda with more dense vegetation, however we had very good viewing on both of our treks as the gorillas moved into clearings for us, and on one day they spent a lot of time feeding on fruits in a tree. We did talk to a couple of people who were not able to see as many gorillas as our group due to the fact that they were in more dense vegetation for the entire 1 hour viewing window, so if you select Bwindi I would definitely recommend doing more than 1 trek to increase your odds of good viewing. The terrain at Rwanda generally seems more open and gentle - but there are also more difficult hikes available - again we had great viewing of the gorillas in the clearings. We did see more small baby gorillas in Rwanda as compared to Uganda, but that could have been luck of the draw, I don't know.

For overall ambiance, we preferred Bwindi because fewer people seemed to visit, the park is beautiful, and the lodge we selected - Gorilla Forest Camp - felt more remote. Some reviews have said that the rooms at Gorilla Forest Camp are "too dark," but we did not find this to be the case - the lodge is a beautifully laid-out tented camp with a wonderful outdoor eating area and the most welcoming staff. Rwanda caters to larger groups and more tourists likely because of ease of access from Kigali, and the overall experience thus feels different to Bwindi. But, you can't go wrong at either location - the gorilla experience is just fabulous.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,772 posts
445 reviews
1. Re: Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

Nice feedback. thanks for that.

Do you have any photos to ease our withdrawal symptoms?

I like Gorilla Safari Lodge too. Not dark at all.

Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
2. Re: Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

We just got home on Friday, so I haven't started going through our images yet, but I'll post a few as soon as I do - probably be a few weeks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,772 posts
445 reviews
3. Re: Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

thanks. I can wait but am off to Uganda myself in two weeks.

Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
4. Re: Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

For those who asked, we have uploaded some of our gorilla pics to our website:

wildlifereflectionsphotography.net/-/…

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

Thanks for the pics Laura. Many posses, beuatiful

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,772 posts
445 reviews
6. Re: Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

Thanks very much. Lovely photos.

7. Re: Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2016, 11:46