We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gorilla tracking in jan, feb, or mar? (x-posted rwanda)

caligornia
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
gorilla tracking in jan, feb, or mar? (x-posted rwanda)

hello all! i cant believe that it is possible to view gorillas in the wild, i was so excited when i saw this while planning my trip to africa! now for the tough part...finding a tour company and deciding on Uganda or Rwanda. I will be going in either jan, feb, or march (if anyone can recommend what the best time would be out of those months i would really appreciate it. I would love if anyone could also recommend a good tour company (im on a budget as in ill take the camping options etc). Is there a company that does both rwanda and uganda? How long would you recommend for this type of tour? ill also be spending time in tanzania and kenya before this so this part of the trip would be mainly for the gorillas. hopefully someone could help me out, thanks! :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,780 posts
445 reviews
1. Re: gorilla tracking in jan, feb, or mar? (x-posted rwanda)

Slow down and do not try to see all of East Africa in 14 days. You will not do it justice and cheat yourself of an experience to be savoured.

(I saw your post on Tz too.)

Now to your questions:-

Rwanda is 'easier' than Uganda in terms of the climb although you can get lucky and find a nearby group. (One party who followed my tips had the Gorillas turn up at the Lodge later the same day!!)

Get a good Ground Agent. there are plenty about.I hesitate to recommend anyone but have used Churchill All Africa Safaris and Kabarole Tours both of whom were very reliable.

Get a copy of the Bradt guide to Ug and/or Rwanda. There is excellent detail on visiting the 'Mountain Kings'.

The Gorillas can be visited in say four days from Kampala but there is so much more to see that I would suggest at least a week to allow a visit to QE Park and the Chimps in Kibale.

Good luck

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,780 posts
445 reviews
2. Re: gorilla tracking in jan, feb, or mar? (x-posted rwanda)

Missed two of your points,

1. Any of the three months you mention are fine with Feb having a slight edge.

2. You are not viewing gorillas in the wild. You are visiting them in their home and THEY will be viewing YOU! One of the best wildlife hours you will EVER spend.

Best.

M

Labadie, Missouri
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
3. Re: gorilla tracking in jan, feb, or mar? (x-posted rwanda)

HI

My daughter and I went to Uganda last March, and had the best time of our lives. The weather was fabulous, the people were fantastic, and observing the gorillas in their natural habitat was nothing less than astounding! Sorry about all the superlatives, but I can't say enough about our wonderful trip.

We used Churchill Safaris out of Kampala. They can combine a trip to Uganda and Rwanda. I highly recommend James as your driver/guide- he was a true gem.

Enjoy!!

4. Re: gorilla tracking in jan, feb, or mar? (x-posted rwanda)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 05:50