We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

Hi. I am planning a holiday for next June and intend on going both gorilla tracking as well as to see the tree climbing lions atqueen Elizabeth nat. Park.

Can someone advise me as to how to go about this.. how many days are req for both activities and how far apart they are from each other? Also how much in advance do I have to book the gorilla tracking permits for June? Is it better to book the permit before hand or once we reach Uganda?Any other tips/suggestions welcome..

7 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

For gorilla tracking you will need at least 1 full day (2 nights) plus however long you take to get there from Entebbe/Kigali.

For Queen Elizabeth National Park I'd allow at least 2-3 nights.

You ask how far apart they are- depends a lot on which part of Bwindi and which part of QENP you are looking at- Ishasha to Buhoma could be as little as 3 hours if you go further north in QENP or South in Bwindi it could be a lot longer.

I would definitely suggest booking gorilla permits in advance. If you are looking a year in advance you should be OK, I am just making a booking for some of my travellers for next June and our choice of dates was fairly open even for Buhoma permits which are the most limited.

In terms of how to organise, this depends a lot on the type of trip you want. The vast majority of people will organise via a tour operator who will make all of their accommodation bookings, book gorilla permits and provide a driver. The more intrepid route is to hire a car and do it all yourself- it's more challenging than trying to do this in countries like South Africa or Namibia, but with time, a sense of adventure and a very practical nature plenty of people do self drive and love it.

I'd personally recommend getting a Bradt Guidebook as a starting point- they are by far the best guidebook series for Africa in my mind, and the Uganda one was pretty recently updated.

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa.

Kampala, Uganda
3 posts
2. Re: Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

Hi greetings from Bamboo Ecotours. You will need at least 5 days for this trip. Two travel days, one day for the gorilla trek at Bwindi, one day to transfer from Bwindi to Ishasha for tree climbing lions with overnight stay at the QENP Mweya side. Another day to do Kasenyi game drive/boat trip. Total 5 days. June is a very busy month so plan reserving your gorilla permit way in advance.

Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

Hub .. thank you for the advise.. how many months in advance would u suggest.. his is June 2019

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

As soon as you are ready, do book your Gorilla permits for either Buhoma sector or Ruhija sector. Since you want to travel via Ishasha sector of Queen Elizabeth. These two sectors are the shortest

Avoid Rushaga sector, Nkuringo sector and Mgahinga Park if you are to pass via Ishasha sector

5. Re: Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2018, 19:15

Tampa
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

I am going to Uganda late June. Our trip includes gorilla trekking. Demand for gorilla trekking is very high. From what I have read, it is better to get permits well in advance.

Kasese, Uganda
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions

Hi its always good idea to book Gorilla permit in time. you need to Book at least 3 month before you alive to Uganda. its also good idea to use travel agent / local tour operator to book for you the permit. i would recommend you Albert safaris ltd. they are experts in arranging gorilla trek and expert in Queen Elizabeth national park . you can reach them on info@albertsafaris.com / info@albertinesafaris.com . they have two web sites with all tour packages www.albertsafaris.com / www.albertinesafaris.com. office Number +256752318753.

Reply to: Gorilla tracking and tree climbing lions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted