We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla Trekking

Cumbria
Level Contributor
25 posts
73 reviews
Gorilla Trekking

My husband and I did a gorilla trek in Ruhija in January this year, which was amazing. I am planning on returning next January with my elderly mother who would love to see the gorilas also. Question is, which would you say is the best region to head for in terms of as easy a trek as possible? I have been recommended Buhoma?

7 replies to this topic
Kampala
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Gorilla Trekking

Buhoma sector of Bwindi Forest yes. It is a bit easier to trek than other sectors

You need to organize your Buhoma gorilla permits soonest as they sell out very fast.

On the Trekking day you can ask the game rangers to give you the easiest family trek in the region.

There's also an option of employing of Porter's to carry your mom at a negotiable price

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
2. Re: Gorilla Trekking

Ditto, Buhoma definitely the best bet if you can get permits. I'd focus on dates when you can get Buhoma permits and build the trip around that. If you're in Cumbria and she's able to go for a good hike in the Lakes for say 2-3 hours you should be fine. On my most recent gorilla trek I was in the easiest group at Ruhija which I'd say would be reasonably challenging if you are not at all fit, but we had a lady in her late 70s hiking with poles, and we all kept to her pace- stopping every 100m or so on the steep bits. She walked in the front of the group so we all walked at a speed comfortable for her. I'd definitely recommend trying to get as fit as possible first (just good hiking fit) as it does make it more fun.

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

3. Re: Gorilla Trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2018, 19:15

Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Gorilla Trekking

We recently got back from our trip including gorilla trekking in Uganda. I was also under the impression that I should ask for a scan of the permits only to learned from my tour operator that UWA stopped issuing paper permits. Now, it is done through some sort of card system. Anyway, my TO did send me the receipts from UWA which I remember containing the dates and sector for reassurance. All went well so I would not worry too much if there are no actual paper permits but at least ask for some sort of proof/receipt showing your money did go to the purchase of the permit.

Edited: 28 May 2018, 18:29
Kasese, Uganda
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Gorilla Trekking

buhoma is the best region in bwindi forest national park , the terrain is very easy to hike.

You can also do pygmies experience in community , i recommend Albert safaris ltd to organize your trip they have excellent services , you can reach them on info@albertsafaris.com . web site www.albertsafaris.

Tampa
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Gorilla Trekking

I have access to a 13 story tower with outside stairs. Is it sufficient for getting ready for a trekking hike if I climb them every other day? I am 71 and not in really great physical shape.

Tampa
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Gorilla Trekking

If anyone is planning a trip to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, I cannot recommend highly enough Thor Hanson's book, "The Impenetrable Forest: My Gorilla Years in Uganda." I felt as if I were there as I read his book. Thor spent two years as a Peace Corps volunteer working with the gorilla habituation project in Bwindi.

Reply to: Gorilla Trekking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted