We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Dakar to Casamance

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferry from Dakar to Casamance

Hello! Can anyone provide some current information about the ferry from Dakar to Casamance? Namely I am curious as to how much in advance I should book for first or second class (really just want to be able to lie down, as I hear it is a night ferry), and where to book?

Also, if someone can provide a recent description of their experience on the ferry, I would be very appreciative! I have had some horrible ferry experiences, and am interested to know a bit more about this one.

Thanks for any assistance!

Mentioned in this post
Dakar
Dakar
Dakar Region, Senegal
Casamance
Casamance
Senegal
6 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Dakar to Casamance

You need to buy your ticket as soon as possible, it is many who take ferry. You have to go to the port for to buy your ticket.

First class it is not I think, or very few cabins, I not remember exactly. But I stayed in shared, wanted have only for 2 persons, but it was busy. Anyway it was going good, you get to sleep good there. It is drape on the each bed so you can feel you private or how to say.

It is shower in the cabin also, you need to take your towel with you there it is not. Not soap either.

On the ferry is restaurant and outside is a bar where you can get sandwich and soft drink, maybe beer also, that I not know, don't drink it. Breakfast is in the price.

It was OK to go by ferry, no problem at all, no horrible it was.

Edited: 21 May 2018, 23:42
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Dakar to Casamance

Thank you, Khamlia! Is there a place to purchase the ferry tickets online? Or can you only purchase when you arrive at the ferry terminal?

Also, we plan on going from Senegal to Sierra Leone (and on from there), and may only spend a week total in Senegal (perhaps ten days)

Realistically, how long before the date of travel to second class tickets sell out?

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply! This ferry sounds quite good! :-)

Edited: 22 May 2018, 07:15
Mentioned in this post
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Dakar to Casamance

It is not possible to buy online, but maybe via some agent. Look here cap-skirring.voyage/tarifs-horaires-bateaux-…

Enjoy Casamance, it is so nice there, I like it very much there.

Mentioned in this post
Casamance
Casamance
Senegal
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Dakar to Casamance

Thank you very much Khamlia!!

Randers, Denmark
Level Contributor
237 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Dakar to Casamance

Is there an official schedule online? I might wanna go to Senegal (+ Gambia and Guinea Bissau) in December/January - flighys are cheap to Dakar :)

Edited: 30 May 2018, 03:57
Mentioned in this post
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Dakar
Dakar
Dakar Region, Senegal
Stockholm, Sweden