We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Reunion

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Reunion

I am thinking of going to Reunion as it looks so beautiful and would want to hire a car to see the whole island. How scary is the driving - I am not great with heights but am OK driving in mountains as long as there is some barrier between me and the abyss. Is this usually the case in Reunion?

Is it easier with an automatic or with the inclines is manual better?

Saint-Denis...
Level Contributor
209 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Reunion

You'll probably find it easier to hire an automatic - there's more of them available than manuals.

Definitely reserve the car before you arrive.

What can be scary about driving in Reunion is most roads have a storm drain on the side and this can be off-putting when you're not used it, especially if driving a car you're not familiar with either.

The roads to Salazie and Cilaos have parts where you have an abyss on one side of the road (and a cliff on the other side), especially Cilaos. But most other roads are OK from this point of view - Maido or the volcano for example.

HTH

champacs

Edited: 22 November 2011, 15:38
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Reunion

Definitely get an automatic. The island is very hilly, with lots of tight turns, so you don't want to worry about shifting. The previous post about the storm drains was spot on - they are right next to the road and drop down about half a meter, which will swallow up your tire and wreck your car if you aren't careful. If you head into the interior, you will also have to deal with a lot of switchbacks, so make sure that you have a good horn on your rental car. All of that being said, we loved driving around the island for a week. The scenery is world class. Just make sure that you get an early start - the clouds often obscure the best viewpoints by 9AM. .

Saint-Denis...
Level Contributor
209 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Reunion

Sorry just re-read my first post - I inverted automatic and manual. I meant "you'll probably find it easier to hire a manual car - there's more manuals available than automatics".

Edited: 10 December 2011, 15:35
Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Reunion

Leppard,

If you'll hear out an Englishman who has visited Reunion 5 times and hired a car each time.

The 1st priority is you MUST have an air-conditioned car!

The manual v auto case depends on several factors.

Do you enjoy driving? Have you ever done any Rallying? If so rent a manual and head for the hills! The road to Cilaos is wonderful. One of my favourite pieces of road anywhere in the world.

If changing gear is hard work to you, or you are not confident changing gear with your right hand, go Auto.

Edited: 16 January 2012, 22:48
5. Re: Driving in Reunion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:46