We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intrepid Overland trip - should I bring my own mattress?

Malmo, Sweden
1 post
Save Topic
Intrepid Overland trip - should I bring my own mattress?

I'm going on a Vic Falls to Cape Town overland trip next month with Intrepid. What I would like to know is if I should buy and bring my own inflatable mattress, or the one they provide is comfy and enough? Since the weight and size allowance are very low on African trips, I wouldn't want to add another up to 1kg for nothing..

4 replies to this topic
auckland
Level Contributor
735 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intrepid Overland trip - should I bring my own mattress?

Hi there...... I have in the past done many trips with Intrepid but not this particular one. A few years back I did the Intrepid Explore Southern Africa.... camping and we were given a mattress just thick enough for me. When I first travelled through Namibia I used Wild Dog Safaris we were also given ‘just thick enough’ mattresses but that time I travelled with a self inflating half mattress. So basically it goes from head to thigh. I found this made for a much more comfortable night and travelling it just fitted inside my pack and once I started the tour I just strapped it to the side of my pack with the normal pack straps. (Groups are small anyway, but if you are really lucky may not be full in which case there may also be spare mattresses.) For me it was worth it but then I am a little older. The brand I used and have used again is Kathmandu. Enjoy your trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intrepid Overland trip - should I bring my own mattress?

Generally they are fine for a week or two. If you really want stay comfy, you can always buy one of those small light inflatable mattress pads. They take very little room. You'll only be carrying it in your luggage at the airport, rest of the time it will be in the vehicle.

auckland
Level Contributor
735 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intrepid Overland trip - should I bring my own mattress?

Daniel is this lthe same as the one I suggested above or different? If different as in recommending one you need to inflate, would again suggest self inflating one..... much easier in the half light inside a small tent and requires way less personal energy at the end of what might well have been a very long one. If different as in recommending full length versus the 3/4 one, would still recommend 3/4 one.... slightly less bulk but more importantly does the job.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intrepid Overland trip - should I bring my own mattress?

Yes, I'm referring to a self inflating mattress. I guess it would be the same type as you suggested. They are very thin and easily can sit underneath the mattress that Intrepid provides. They also easily roll up. They can be purchased for a quite good price. No need to purchase such an expensive one for 2 week trip especially if you don't plan on using it again. They are good as well for keeping your mattress off the cooler ground.

Reply to: Intrepid Overland trip - should I bring my own mattress?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted