We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December

Hello,

I am planning my 15 day self drive Namibia trip in December 2018. This will be my first time in Africa and initially I was thinking of including Botswana as well to include Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Etosha, Rundo, Kaitim Mulilo, Chobe, Nata, Maun, Ghanzi and then back to Windhoek. However I understand the combination of Namibia and Botswana may involve a lot of driving where I'll me missing out on Namibia and the cost will be much higher as both Travel Agents that I have spoken to have advised on getting a 4WD for this Trip.

Therefore, I was wondering if there was a recommended itinerary for a self drive trip in Namibia alone but one which can definitely be done using a normal car in the month of December.

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December

Definitely a good idea of staying in one country. Here's my 16 day itin I did last year

Day 1 Arrive WDH and pickup vehicle

Day 2 - 3 Sossusvlei area

Day 4 - 5 Swakopmund for activities

Day 6 -7 Palmwag

Day 8 - 9 Hoada Campsite

Day 10 - 12 Etosha

Day 13 Hohenstein Lodge / Erongo area

Day 14 - Spitzkoppe

Day 15 WDH

Overall it was fantastic. The only item I might change would be not heading up all the way to Palmwag. It was a very long drive! I think it might have been better to head up skeleton coast then over to Twyfelfontein area.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 00:19
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December

Daniel's itinerary s a good one in matching distance with sights.

My concern would be availability booking this close in to December.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December

Thanks Daniel B. I'll focus on staying in Namibia for the duration of my trip and contact the agents to see if they can substitute skeleton coast and Twyfelfontein for Palmwag.

Thanks mfuwe. Yes I realise that my options might be limited especially for the lodges located inside the parks.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December

Thanks I'll focus on staying in Namibia for the duration of my trip and check whether agents can substitute skeleton coast and Twyfelfontein for Palmwag.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,859 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December

15 days is good enough for north of Windhoek circle, without Caprivi. I would chose between Palmwag or Hoada, adding extra days to Etosha. On your way back you might stop at okonjima and Ameib Ranch.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December

Thanks Xelas, I'll check out Okonjima and Ameib Ranch for the return part

Reply to: 15 Days Self Drive Namibia in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted