We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Namibia - Sossusvlei or Etosha?

Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Namibia - Sossusvlei or Etosha?

I am going on a tour through Vic Falls and Botswana which ends in Windhoek at the end of November and I only have 3 days (no way to extend) in Windhoek after the tour is done. I am hoping to see some part of Namibia, preferably with a tour since I will be travelling solo, and I am trying to decide whether to see Sossusvlei or Etosha NP. I live in Cape Town and have been to Kruger, and the tour before goes to Chobe and Okavango Delta in Botswana. Is Etosha worth visiting too or should I focus on something different and go with Sossusvlei (or something else, I'm open to suggestions)? Also, does anyone have tour suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
Allentown...
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Namibia - Sossusvlei or Etosha?

Im not sure how a tour of Vic Falls and Botswana ends in Windhoek, but ... Okay. To get to Windhoek, is this tour a land tour that travels the Caprivi down to Windhoek? If so, does it include any of eastern Etosha? Is that 3 days including the departure day or 3 full days?

It's a good drive to either Sossusvlei or Etosha. I think you can see Sossusvlei in only a day or two, but Etosha is really a destination where you need more time to appreciate. That said, you can get there, have one quality day and then drive back in a day, so it is possible. A good alternative is to visit Naan Kuse a few days. It's out near the airport and has some diverse options.

Namibia
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Namibia - Sossusvlei or Etosha?

Hi Ashley

I would suggest leaving Etosha. You will already have experience the animal life in Botswana so rather opt for the landscape where you will not find anywhere else. I would recommend Sossusvlei then. New African Frontiers Tours and Safaris do daily departures to Sossusvlei ( 3 days 2 nights) and back to Windhoek.

Otherwise, renting a car and doing your own thing will also be nice - and maybe a a little bit cheaper....

Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Namibia - Sossusvlei or Etosha?

Thank you both for your replies, both are very helpful. I think I'm going to go for Sossusvlei. Nastassia, if I am a solo female traveller, do you think it is safe in Namibia for me to drive there, or would it be better to do the tour?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Namibia - Sossusvlei or Etosha?

I would also suggest Sossusvlei over Etosha (cue laughter from the Destination Expert here!)

For the same reasons as Nastassia gives. Although unique Etosha is just not worth the effort for one day. The pile of sand is at least constant and once you have experienced it, it only takes 24 hours and one night, you can cross it off the list.

As to self drive solo you will be perfectly safe in a physical sense but whether to do this drive solo would depend on your ability/readiness to maybe change a flat tyre or handle a breakdown without assistance. Only you know that.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,785 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Namibia - Sossusvlei or Etosha?

Another option, in between and logistically easier as there are local buses (real ones not minibuses) is Swakopmund. There you can get both dunes and other activities.

Reply to: 3 Days in Namibia - Sossusvlei or Etosha?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted