We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering Etosha via Galton Gate vs Anderson.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Entering Etosha via Galton Gate vs Anderson.

Hello I am trying to decide on best routing from Twyfonatin area to Etosha Okaukuejo Camp. Am considering two options: 1st - route to Hobatere Lodge, spend night there then next day enter Etosha via Galton gate & tour enroute to Okaukuejo. 2nd -- Twyfonatin routing to anderson gate and then to Okaukuejo. Basically the question boils down to, is it worth adding extra mileage & night at Hobatere to see west side of Etosha?

I will stay at Okaukuejo camp two nights so expect could drive to some portion of western Etosha from Okaukuejo while there. Following our stay in Okaukuejo we plan to be 2 nights in eastern Etosha. Are the sites and chances of wildlife sightings in Western Etosha that much different/better than seen in central or eastern Etosha? I think it may not be worth the extra expense, but never being there have no idea. Thanks for your comments.

2 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,567 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering Etosha via Galton Gate vs Anderson.

I would enter at Galton for two reasons.

1. the chance to stay at the lovely Hobatere Lodge provided you have the time to longer and not just use it as an overnight B&B.

2. Western Etosha is very good and totally different to the central and west.

Whilst you can enter part from Okaukuejo I don't think you will have the time as there is so much more to see from there.

Wildlife sightings do vary throughout the NP due to seasonal migrations and weather.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering Etosha via Galton Gate vs Anderson.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Reply to: Entering Etosha via Galton Gate vs Anderson.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted