We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

Hi all,

A friend and I are looking to visit in August/September of next year and are planning to stay a few days in Cape Town (we've gathered that we'll most likely need to rent a car there to see the city most efficiently), and then renting a Camper 4X4 and driving from Cape Town through Namibia (stopping at a bunch of Namibian highlights along the way). We'd fly out from Windhoek, so we'll need a one-way rental.

Can anyone recommend a good service to rent a 4x4 w. a roof camper from in Cape Town that will allow us to cross to Namibia and return the vehicle in Windhoek?

If it's helpful:

We're both traveling from the US and have standard licenses

Don't plan on staying more than 2.5-3 wks

We're two about average sized women - I'm assuming we can do with the standard roof tent? I've never done this before

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

27 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

Easy answer is about the roof top tent ... you will be able to sleep in it just fine. As for the company, look at Bushlore. They have offices in both towns. And for Cape Town (the town, not the nearby places), better use hop on hop off bus or similar options.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 08:51
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,939 posts
448 reviews
2. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

The cost of One way hire is probably more than the air fare from Capetown to Windhoek. You will also probably get bogged down in importing a car regulations and taxes.

Starting the trip from WDH will open up much more of Namibia to see in your 3 weeks as most of the highlights are in the north..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

I agree with mfuwe. I think it would be better to do your trip in Cape Town, Then fly to WDH, grab your rental vehicle and do from there. I think the cost of dropping of off a SA rental in WDH will be about $500... probably more with import fees at border.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

Thank you for the suggestion, re: starting in WDH - we considered it, but I can't think of a way we can drop off a vehicle in Namibia without having to circle back up to WDH to get out/to whichever our next destination is (which in our current plan, would be home), so this seemed like the best route to take considering our time constraints and time we also want to be able to devote to CT. I will look into it further, but from what I've read so far regarding distance and drive time in Namibia, it doesn't seem doable (but I could be dreadfully of, I've not done this before!).

Our must-see stops in Namibia (as of right now) - we haven't ironed out how much time is needed for each:

Sossusvlei/Deadvlei - camping here in order to be there for morning light

Etosha - still need to figure out wherein is best to stay

Kolmanskop - I know there are a lot of mixed feelings on this, but I photograph abandoned buildings

Things we're still TBD on:

Aus - since it's on the way to Kolmanskop, we may just make a short stop if it's possible

Fish River Canyon

Walvis Bay/Swakopmund

Palmwag Nature Reserve/Damaraland

Skeleton Coast Park - would love to do this but frankly don't think we'll have enough time to do it properly

Quite a few in CT as well, but still narrowing down and not sure how many days we need to give there.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

The mentioned highlight would be much driving for 4 weeks Namibia only. If you have 3 weeks for Namibia then maybe you can do Fish River, Kolmanskop from Luderitz or Aus, Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Palmwag and Etosha. But already this incorporate a lot of driving time. If mentioned time also is also needed for CapeTown then you should reconsider your plans and priorities, as both are simply not feasible to be done in that short time frame.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

Thank you for the advice - what I had said is that the only ones we know for sure we want to do in Namibia are these:

Sossusvlei/Deadvlei

Etosha

Kolmanskop (likely stopping quickly in Aus on the way)

Everything else is still in discussion. If we cannot make time for it in the total 3 weeks travel time we have, we'll leave it off.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 06:32
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

Reading your OP, I assumed you'd decided to start in Cape Town in order to experience the seasonal wildflowers on the route north. It would be a pity to miss that.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

Too late to edit.

If interested, I suggest also posting on the South Africa forum where posters can offer information about the flowers and how best to experience them.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 07:24
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
9. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

@AuntieFr0mJ0zi - Yes, there are several stops on the route from Cape Town to Namibia that we'd like to see for the wild flowers, as well.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,939 posts
448 reviews
10. Re: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions

I think we/you need to be clear on how many days you have for the whole trip in RSA and NA.

Is it all to be done within the 3 weeks or is this just for the NA section?

As xelas says if you only have 21 days for the whole trip, including your "several stops on the route from Capetown" you must forget Palmwag and Etosha.

Proceeding on the assumption that your 21 days is for Namibia alone then a glance at an Atlas would show that Windhoek is fairly central to the whole country.

This has the advantage of making any trip easy to pick up and return the car to Windhoek with minimal retracing of roads as nowhere in the country, apart from the extreme north and Caprivi strip is more than along days drive from Windhoek.

Etosha and Sesreim are both within 6 hours drive. Kolmanskop and Fish River (can be extended from Sesreim) are a days drive south.

There is no "circling back up involved" as there is no need to visit Windhoek other than for the airport on arrival and departure. You leave and your route describes a rough circle with nowhere more than a days drive.

I agree the flowers of Namaqualand may be worth seeing but there is a monetary and time price to pay for driving up from Capetown and I wonder when you actually get accurate costs you will feel it is worth it.

Reply to: Cape Town to Namibia Drive - Rental Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted