We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia camping and route recommendations

Haines, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
Namibia camping and route recommendations

Our plan is to rent a 4x4 vehicle for three weeks beginning mid October 2019. We are three Alaskan women well-versed in outdoor living. I have been to Africa three times, but for my two friends this will be the first time. I am in charge of arranging the trip and want to get as much advice as possible before making reservations for vehicles or campsites.

If we leave from Windhoek, we probably do not want to go much farther south than the Sossusvlei area, as we want to avoid spending too much time in a vehicle. There is a small chance that we may rent a vehicle in Cape Town—if that happens, we would add another week to our time in Namibia.

My friends especially want to see elephants, giraffes, cats, rhinos and birds. We prefer to stay in uncrowded campsites that offer space, quietness and hiking options, although we know that may not always be possible. We would like to support local communities and indigenous people whenever we can. Ideally, we would prefer not to drive more than four hours between destinations.

Etosha West, a bit of the Skeleton Coast and Sossusvlei area are for sure places that we want to see, after that we are open for suggestions. Just for reference sake, even though I saw many animals up close, the crowded campsites and lodging at Kruger National Park and the over-used Chobe River near Chobe National Park were my least favorite sites in southern Africa.

8 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
1. Re: Namibia camping and route recommendations

Most folks take a somewhat circular route, clockwise, from WDH to Sesreim (via spreegshoogte pass is very scenic and popular and you may like to stop at Barchan Dunes Camp as it is very quiet).

Sesreim has lots of sites and from there you drive north to Walvis Bay and Swakopmund. there it is possible to go kayaking with Fur Seals or birding into the sands on a living desert tour.

Now head north along skeleton coast to Palmwag area for your elephant and giraffe, even track black rhino on foot. with three weeks available you could then head right north to the Kunene river and Epupa falls. Epupa camps are quite busy but further down river is the much quieter Kunene River Camp. If the D3700 improvements have reached Epupa you can drive this road along the border to Ruacane and then head down to enter Etosha at Galton Gate.

From Palmwag round to Galton is Himba country and there are many community campsites to choose from.

Etosha and back to WDH would complete your route description but of course you can then choose where to stay to make the most of your stay at a steady pace.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Namibia camping and route recommendations

Just keep in mind that there's no guarantee you will see all that wildlife.We did see plenty of ellies and Rhino at the watering holes in Etosha at Halali and Okakuejo but you may not like that as they were busy. We saw no cats in Etosha when we went last Jul...well we did see one but only it's head and from a distance....

For hiking options you may want to check out Cardboard Box and click on Places. You will see a list of lodges for each area and it will indicate if there are some good hikes available.

Haines, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
3. Re: Namibia camping and route recommendations

Thank you for the recommended route. It was especially helpful because I was wondering which direction to head first out of Windhoek. I will further investigate.

Haines, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
4. Re: Namibia camping and route recommendations

Thank you for your recommended route. It was especially helpful because I was wondering which direction to head from Windhoek. I will try to check out the “quiet” campsites you mentioned.

Haines, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
5. Re: Namibia camping and route recommendations

Yes, I am absolutely clear that there is no guarantee we will see any animals, much less all of those I mentioned. I have been very lucky in animal sightings during my previous trips to Africa. For my friends’ sake, I hope my luck holds. I recently spent several hours on the Cardboard Box website and found it most helpful. I will return to it with your suggestion in mind.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,978 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Namibia camping and route recommendations

I am convinced you will see all four of the mentined species! Etosha is the place to go for them, yet Namibia in general is a fine country for folks like you ... and me. Follow the itinerary given to you by mfuwe, and you will have great timefor sure.

NEW ORLEANS
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
7. Re: Namibia camping and route recommendations

Hi! We are of similar minds, and we're doing this trip coming up in just 3 weeks! I'll be sure to come back and repost some of our favorites that you can look into

Haines, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
8. Re: Namibia camping and route recommendations

Thank you. I look forward to any suggestions you may have after your travels.

Reply to: Namibia camping and route recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted