We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?

Hi there :)

I just heared from a family that they were contacted by Tourmaline yesterday saying a new rule was (about to be) adopted in Namibia, they didn't have the precise legal specifications yet but some people were apparently refused boarding planes if they didn't have their childrens birth certificates with them..!!

And yes it was on direct flight from Germany to Windhoek, so no relation with the rules already in place in South Africa.

Does anyone have more official info to confirm it or inform the future travelers with kids ?

Edited: 01 August 2018, 16:44
6 replies to this topic
8 posts
1 review
1. Re: New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?

Hi there,

Same question from me.

Today at BRU airport about to check-in to Namibia (Qatar BRU-DOH-JNB-WDN) with family of 6 of which 3 under 18.

Not aware birth certificate requirement which seems to be recent, Jul 25th 2018. No info available on the federal web site of Belgian authorities.

Qatar states that they contacted pax traveling directly via Qatar flight to WDN, not us because flying over JNB via South African cie, even we booked FULL journey with Qatar.

Result : Couldn't check in, trip and QR flight of more than 5000€ lost.Can't believe this !

Who can advise us ?

Thanks,

Michael

Paris, France
Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?

Hi Michael,

I'm really sorry to hear that, but as far as I know the rule for South Africa was already in place in 2015.

Didn't your local travel agent mention it ?

Edited: 02 August 2018, 00:14
South Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
145 reviews
3. Re: New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?

We just returned from a three-week trip to Namibia with our 16 y/o whoo turned 17 while we were there. We had the affidavit from the other parent and the original birth certificate, but was never asked for any of it. They admitted our 16 y/o without a single inquiry beyond his passport.

auckland
Level Contributor
850 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?

Yes I am wondering if Namibia is about to adopt the same very rigorous requiremnts needed for entry/ visa for children to Sth Africa.... in my case, last year, travelling with a then 12 year old ( my granddaughter) without a parent.... this included her original birth certificate sighted and witnessed by appropriate person ( a list of these was provided), a copy of passport of both parents ( certified) , affadavits from both parents confirming I had the right to travel with her, a letter from my bank confirming I had sufficient funds to support her whilst in Sth Africa ( I kid you not!) With this we then got the visa ( New Zealanders need) and I then carried a folder with all the info and at immigration asked ‘in my most helpful way....what would you like to see?’ and was promptly waved through. I am a great believer in Sod’s law so always carry more than I need for border crossings..,,,,,, have it and you wont need, don’t have and it will be a different story!

Helsinki, Finland
14 posts
5. Re: New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?

We got declined at Ngoma border with our 14 y son. The certificate should not be required but for some reason the officer at the border demanded it. We got help from embassy and the guy didn't believe anything they said to him. Finally we received an electric copy of the certificate and it was enough - barely. I have a different surname than my son and that was causing some additional questions.

So, I recommend taking the certificate with when travelling with underage children.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,643 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?

Very wise advice, Ghi. Even if never asked for, is better to have it. Like with extra insurance. Money well invested if no need for it.

Reply to: New rule for family traveling with children(s) < 18 yo ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted