We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping, and specifically tipping on check in

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping, and specifically tipping on check in

So, trip of a lifetime before our (4th!) kid comes along. Grandma looking after the nippers and we're taking a 13 year belated honeymoon.

We'll be staying at Tamassa in Bel Ombre 11-18 June, AI.

My wife wants to lap up the sun, I haven't sat still for more than an hour in 8 years - that's not for me. But I *really* want to make sure that she has a great time and is treated well, so while I'm off doing something that may get me injured (Kite Boarding/Diving/Water-Skiing etc.), I want to know that she's being well looked after.

To that extent I've heard that a good thing to do is to pass a little cash (equivalent of £15 or so), as a tip over when checking in - in a passport or similar. Is that frowned on in Mauritius? I've read the travellers articles on here, but it doesn't say much. I don't even know what an acceptable tip is!

Tipping in general - housekeeper etc - how does that work? I'm from the UK, and it's pretty non-tipping culture, and as I am the antithesis of a seasoned traveller I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out here!

Advise most welcome!

3 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,408 posts
2,299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping, and specifically tipping on check in

Mauritius is not like the USA with its tipping culture. The $20 trick might work in Vegas hotels but not in Mauritius. If is is a belated honeymoon then let the hotel know in advance.

As far as tipping goes, tip the bellboy for carrying your luggage. You can tip the maid/room boy for making up the room. Some do it regularly others at the end of the stay. There is always the risk that if you do it at the end of your stay, you leave money on their day off.

Restaurants tend to be the self service type so need to tip then.

Mauritian hotels have a feedback system, when you check out you might be given a questionnaire to complete and you can highlight the names of staff who have given good service.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
45,605 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping, and specifically tipping on check in

Not the done thing at all but tip the porter and housekeeping.

We tip R100 per bag and housekeeping R200 every few days.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping, and specifically tipping on check in

I think handing over money at check in would be regarded as an insult in Mauritius who really don't have the same tipping culture as many other countries. Also the person working on reception is unlikely to have much to do with ensuring that your wife is treated well during your stay. Good advice from Preston and Bronia above. There is usually a communal tipping box at reception which is then shared out between all the staff during the year. This money makes it's way to many of the "backroom" staff who work so hard but aren't in daily contact with guests ie kitchen staff, gardeners and maintenance guys. We always leave something in there, too, at the end of our stay.

Reply to: Tipping, and specifically tipping on check in
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted