We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

colored hair?

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
colored hair?

Hi - I live in western US and am traveling to Bamako soon. Question: At this time, my hair is colored dark purple on the ends (not a whole head of purple).

I have traveled internationally before. I will be dressed very conservatively (long sleeves/long skirts/loose pants with long tunics/always have a large scarf with me). I know many beautiful African women use henna in their hair, but I was not sure about "un natural" coloring. Advice?

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: colored hair?

Your hair is fine. When I was there my hair was red with black streaks. Very, very short. Long loose pants are the norm, however short or no, sleeves is also the norm. You will be happy to ditch your bra in the heat too! Many women wear an obvious bra as status :)! Tank tops fine but something looser will be more comfortable. You won't need a scarf but it would be fun to buy one while there! Enjoy!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: colored hair?

Thank you for your response. I actually just returned. A few people made positive comments, and one gal in the hotel lobby looked at my hair, smiled real big and gave me a thumbs up! (universal language!!) A colleague said that some of the women who braid their hair will color the braids the same colors I had in my hair (also added a red before departure).

Great trip; I hope to get back there one of these days. Thanks again for your response. Best wishes in your future adventures.

3. Re: colored hair?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2018, 22:48
Get answers to your questions about Bamako
Recent Conversations