We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCE Railway - Fianarantsoa

Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
FCE Railway - Fianarantsoa

We are planning a trip to Madagascar in November of this year and we're excited about taking the FCE Railway from Fianarantsoa to Manakara. I have read some mixed reviews about the train ride, which made me think if we can take the train halfway? Get off the train somewhere in the middle? Does anyone know where you can find the stops of this train and if there's a point to take a taxi brousse or some other kind of transport ?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Fianarantsoa
Fianarantsoa
Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
Manakara
Manakara
3 replies to this topic
Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
945 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FCE Railway - Fianarantsoa

There is no way to stop half-way unless you have a private car hire to meet you (which is what I did last time when I was nearly bored to death by 7pm - it stops at every village sometime for very long times, to load and unload bananas and coca cola). Once it is dark, there is no reason to be on the train, nothing to see, and I found it a little bit unnerving in a rattly old train in the dark. The train does not follow the highway exactly so the side-roads from the highway to the villages where the train stops are mostly really bad, and quite far. If I recall we got out in Sahasinaka at around 7:30pm and arrived in Manakara around 9:30 pm. The train landed in Manakara after midnight.

Mentioned in this post
Manakara
Manakara
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FCE Railway - Fianarantsoa

How did you meet with your driver? I have read the train hours are very unpredictable so it's difficult to meet with the driver a certain time at a certain point I guess?

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
945 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FCE Railway - Fianarantsoa

He was already on the road to meet us in Manakara and we just called him. He went to the nearest village and sent us a message to let us know where we should get off the train, and then he just sat in the village and waited for us. We were paying for a car hire for the day as well as the train as we were leaving Manakara the next morning to head back to Ranomafana.

Mentioned in this post
Manakara
Manakara
Ranomafana
Ranomafana
Reply to: FCE Railway - Fianarantsoa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted