We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever in Madagascar

Flemington, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Yellow Fever in Madagascar

a friend and myself will be in Madagascar the middle of October for 16 days. I was told by the US CDC that it is up to me if I wish to receive a Yellow Fever vaccination. It costs about $265 US and I have to drive 1 1/2 hours away to get it. My questions is should I get the vaccination or is it really necessarily? I will have had typhoid, malaria, Hep A & B and Tetanus.

Thank you for your time to answer me!!

6 replies to this topic
Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
968 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever in Madagascar

Yellow Fever is not endemic to Madagascar and you do not require a vaccination in terms of protecting yourself from yellow fever while you are here.

If however you are passing through a yellow-fever endemic country (you can find the list easily by using google) on your way here (transit does not count) you will need a yellow fever vaccination to enter Madagascar.

If you want to have a vaccination while you are here for future travels (your yellow fever vaccination is valid for life) you can have it at the International Vaccination Centre at the Pasteur Institute in Antananarivo for around €10. They issue an internationally recognised vaccination certificate.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
430 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever in Madagascar

Brett, as always, you're the Best!

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
968 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever in Madagascar

FriendlyVisitor you are very kind. I only know this because I just went on vacation and although we do not have Yellow Fever here, I learned that Thailand insists anyone coming from Madagascar has a vaccination so I jumped through all of the hoops myself to get it done, and, sure enough, landing in Thailand, they sent us to the "arriving from Africa" queue, where they checked our vaccination certificates.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Fever in Madagascar

Brett, you seem to know your stuff, so i'll direct this at you :) We too are Australian and travelling to Madagascar, Reunion, Mauritius and Seychelles on a cruise end of October/November for 2 weeks. What vaccinations are necessary. Our doctor recommended Hep A/typhoid. We are in each place for two or three days only. With thanks.

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
968 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Fever in Madagascar

With the disclaimer that you should not rely on a travel forum for medical advise and should follow the advice of your GP, I’ll say that in my layman’s opinion Hep A is a must, it’s endemic here and you can get it very very easily (let google be your friend to advise on transmission routes but think dirty cup). On the other hand there is conflicting advise about typhoid vaccinations. It too is endemic here and easily transmitted but the vaccine is not 100% effective. Also, there is a dead version and a live version, and the live version carries more risks. You might ask your GP to explain better.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Fever in Madagascar

Thanks Brett for you in depth reply. We did spent about 3 weeks in India and Nepal without any vaccinations, and it was a land holiday with lots of food and drink and had no problems, but Madagascar etc may be a different matter. This is a cruise holiday with no need to even eat or drink anything while on land, so relatively safer I would think? Still I will talk to our doctor first. Thanks again.

Reply to: Yellow Fever in Madagascar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted