We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-week trip

Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
3-week trip

For our honeymoon, my husband and I booked a flight to madagascar for 3 weeks.

These are the things we would like to do in these 3 weeks:

- Tsiribihina river trip with pirogues

- Baobab avenue

- Tsingy de bemaraha

- Isalo national park

- Take the FCE railway from Fianarantsoa to Manakara

- Andringita national park

- Ile saint Marie

- Andasibe

Do you think this is okay for three weeks or is it too much? We're also on a budget so we can maybe take one flight but the rest we would like to do by car or taxi brousse. Is it best to book the whole trip with a guide or plan it ourselves?

Thank you!!

6 replies to this topic
Tallahassee, Florida
12 posts
1. Re: 3-week trip

Hi, I think you need to spend more than 3 weeks to do all this.If I were you I would skip Tsiribihina river trip and use at least two internal flights(one way from Tana to Morondava and oanother flight at the end of the tour). Taxibrousse would make it long and hard so hiring a driver/guide is better option. Don't miss the baobab avenue and the Tsingy de Bemraha as well as Sainte Marie island. here is a link from a blogger who have recently travelled to Madagascar which might help you getting more idea about the west of Madagascar. unchartedbackpacker.com/travel-madagascars-w…

hope this helps. have a nice honeymoon!

Edited: 04 August 2018, 13:39
Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: 3-week trip

Andasibe can be done at the beginning or the end, it is close to Tana, save two full days. Good idea to be close to Tana at the end of your trip in case flights change.

You can drive down to Antsirabe / Miandrivazo (1 day of travel) and then do the following:

Tsiribihina river trip with pirogues, Baobab avenue, and Tsingy de bemaraha

In total, three days for the river trip and for most people 4 more days would be tons including your day of return travel to Morondava.

From Morondava you would drive out to Antsirabe again and then I guess most logical down to Fianarantsoa (2 days to get there). You would need to get your head around your train travel days because the train does not leave daily but with a day waiting in Fianar, a day on the train, a day to explore Manakara and a day to take taxi brousse back to Fianarantsoa, the train journey will need minimum of 4 days.

So far we have used in total 16 days. You are back in Fianarantsoa and you have 5 days left.

Isalo national park and Andringita national park will use up at least 4 days from Fianarantsoa and back to Tana. I mean, you could go from Fianar past Andringitra and not go into the park, and onto Isalo in one day. Then one day in Isalo park. Then you still need two more days to drive to Tana safely.

That's your 21 days... I do not think you can do Ile saint Marie on this trip...

Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: 3-week trip

Thank you so much for your replies! They are very usefull to us!

Do you think it's best to plan everything beforehand? I think maybe it will save us some time and money. Is it easy to find drivers when you're there or is it best to book them already? We arrive in Tana on November 1st so I'm not sure how long in advance we would need to plan this.

I'm realising we will need to skip one or two things on our trip but it's hard to decide which ones... :-( I think a domestic flight will buy us some time indeed.

Manning, South...
Level Contributor
100 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: 3-week trip

November is not for whale watching but Sainte Marie and Ifaty in the south are excellent for those wanting to snorkel and see the marine life. There is lots of tropical fish and bright corals not far beneath the turquoise tinged surface. I do not recommend Tsiribihina river trip since the level of water might be shallow as heavy rain hasn't started yet and for security, this river trip is now a bit hot destination. November sees further increases in temperature, with many of Madagascar’s top spots still being excellent to visit. Wildlife is active with no species hibernating, so you can see lots of lemurs, chameleons, frogs and geckos. Birds are still in breeding season too, so lots of animals to see so don't miss Andasibe, Ranomafana,Isalo and Kirindy reserve.

I would recommend getting everythig fixed right now so try to get in touch with local tour operator.

Reading travellers who have recently been to Madagascar would also help so I would recommend you to read something like unchartedbackpacker.com/travel-madagascars-w… and https:/…

Level Contributor
22 posts
5. Re: 3-week trip

pm please

Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: 3-week trip

We decided we are going to skip the FCE Railway. Can you do Tsingy De Bemaraha in one day? We will do the trip with the pirogues, baobabs avenue, Tsingy, Morondava, Isalo, Andringatra, Ile Saint Marie and Andasibe. Maybe we'll fly from Tana to Ile Saint Marie, that will hopefully save us some time. Do you think we should plan this whole trip with just one tour operator or have seperate ones for different parts of the trip?

Reply to: 3-week trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted