We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli

1 post
Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli

My father was the PT instructor at Prinn Barracks in the 60's. We lived just outside the camp in a row of semi-detached bungalows. On the corner of the road leading down to the Barracks was a fruit and veg shop.

I went to an RAF school on a bus. The school was in a walled in area with barbed wire around the top of the wall and guards at the gate.

I have no recollection of the name of the area of either of these two places and I am unable to 'google earth' search the area.

Is anyone able to help?

Debbie

6 replies to this topic
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli

As suggested by my friend, your school area seems to be Bab al Aziziyah.

West Yorkshire...
1 post
2. Re: Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli

I'm helping a friend to try and find his father who was Canadian living and working in Prinn around 1960. He was a field observer for an oil company. The company could have been Bunker Hunt. Does anyone have any information at all about the oil company based there at the time or on any of the American families that were living there? The slightest bit of information may be useful. The man we are looking for was called Maurice McLean.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
3. Re: Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli

Hi was in Prinn barracks from 1962 to when we all left, was in the 219 Signal Sqdn Comcen, I was 21 at the time still have the Omega Watch I bought in the NAAFI for my 21st birthday. I to looked for the site, I remember the Royal Scots were down the road and the WRAC block in the middle of the camp.

long time ago

Ken McRae

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli

I remember it well I married a nurse out there we used to baby sit at those bungalows for a Cpl Baldwin ,we lived across the road from the veg shop next to the Mosque it was a great posting back in those days , what dates were you out there.

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli

Hi, I was there then 38 Coy RASC / RCT I married a nurse out there and lived next to Moswue just outside Prinn, before I met my wife I went out with a couple of WRAC Signals great posting I went on to Benghazi after Tripoli.

Burnham-On-Sea...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli

I was there then RASC/RCT I got married in Prinn Barracks 53 years ago today 30/10/1965

Reply to: Prinn Barracks, near Tripoli
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tripoli
Recent Conversations