We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea fishing

Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Sea fishing

I'm staying in kololi beach area is the sea fishing any good ? Been told different stories. Already been scammed in another country far a good few quid. I want to go far big fish

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Sea fishing

Hi Rigwallet,

You can fish from the beach and I would be surprised if you didnt catch a butterfish of about 3 or 4 lb (best tasting fish in the Gambia). Maybe you;ll need to go a few times or maybe you'll be lucky first time. If you head left or right about a mile either way your chances will be greater. There are bigger fish caught on rod and line but not often.

If you want bigger fish you need to fish by boat. There are several boats operating out of Denton Bridge that will take you out and you can either opt for prawn bait fishing for fish around 3 to 8lb, or you can live bait for bigger Captain Fish, Snapper, Cassava, Ladyfish and Barracuda. (10kg to 20kg plus is possible) As with anywhere in the world, the bigger you target the harder it gets.

There is also one or two boats going out 30 miles for Sailfish etc, but this is expensive and I'm not convinced that the fish are there too often. If you want "monsters" as for a Tarpon trip to Dog Island - not too far so will not be expensive and they grow to 300lb plus there. A boat Captain I was with last week told me he hooked one last week 200lb and got it to the side of the boat after 1 1/2 hrs.

I can give you contacts if you need them - PM me.

Rgds

Haydn

Edited: 04 April 2013, 15:06
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
794 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Sea fishing

Hi Rigwallet, beach fishing around Kololi can be OK, depends on the time of year,tides etc. The best beach fishing is to the south, with some great catches now and again. If you get as far as Kartong then you could be in for some great sport. My pb was from Kartong beach, a 28kg guitarfish, also good ladyfish and captainfish to 15kg.

pm me for some good marks.

rgds

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3. Re: Sea fishing

walk down to the voodu bar,ask for soloman,he,ll sort you out with a decent trip on a local boat,on the reef in front of the senegambia

Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Sea fishing

Pm you ? Now that's another level not good with these things mobile phones my best but if you pm me then when it pops up might be able to go from there

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
794 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Sea fishing

Hi rigwallet, if someone sends you a pm, then you wiill get a ''Message for Rigwallet'' at the top of your page where it usually says ''Welcome Rigwallett'', just 'click on it to open your messages, once done 'click'

'continue browsing' to return to the forum.

Have pm'ed you, hope you find it !!

rgds

Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Sea fishing

What's the situation regarding beach fishing tackle ? Is it expensive to buy or should I take my own reel etc.

Cheers

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Sea fishing

Having tried Denton Bridge and Kartong by boat - my hubby would never hire a boat again (far too expensive and unproductive both times). By far the best days fishing in TG (over 3 visits) was at Mamasanchebas (think that's spelt correctly?) which is between Gunjur & Kartong - just before Sandele Eco Lodge. Beach casting resulting in 11 butterfish plus guitarfish and catfish.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 15:15
Sukuta, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Sea fishing

Home > Africa > Gambia > Banjul Division > Banjul > Things to do in Banjul > Pa's Fishing CompanyAll 9 Banjul Attractions » Pa's Fishing Company

Add to trip Added to trip Delete Pa's Fishing Company from My Saves Go to My Saves

You added Pa's Fishing Company to your Saves listView all saved listings 49 Gloucester Street, Banjul, Gambia

220 7293785Website E-mailUpdate attraction details Ranked #4 of 9 attractions in Banjul 4 Reviews 71 visitor photos Write a Review

4 reviews from our community

Visitor rating

Excellent 3 Very good 1 Average 0 Poor 0 Terrible 0

4 reviews sorted by Date Rating

English first Any

Derek A Portsmouth, United Kingdom

1 review “Can't wait to go again!”

Reviewed 8 March 2013 Was this review helpful? Yes We really enjoyed our time in the Gambia. So much so that we have already booked to go back again this year! We met Pa in the Laico Atlantic hotel where he has a desk run by Natalie (who is very helpful and absolutely lovely!) booking fishing equipment to use on the beach and fishing trips out to the sea...

More

Problem with this review? angler29 Manchester, United Kingdom Contributor 13 reviews 3 attraction reviews Reviews in 7 cities 17 helpful votes “THE BEST.” Reviewed 30 November 2012 Fishing in either the creek,river or off the Atlantic coast of Gambia requires expertise and the person who has this in abundance is Mr Pa Jammeh. 30+ years fishing these waters has given Pa the angling knowledge that money cant buy. My friend and i have spent upto 10 days continuos daily fishing with the captain and i cant wait... More

See all photos Problem with this review? See 2 more reviews by angler29 for Banjul

angler29 Manchester, United Kingdom

Contributor

13 reviews

3 attraction reviews

Reviews in 7 cities

17 helpful votes “THE BEST.”

Reviewed 30 November 2012 Was this review helpful? Yes Fishing in either the creek,river or off the Atlantic coast of Gambia requires expertise and the person who has this in abundance is Mr Pa Jammeh.

30+ years fishing these waters has given Pa the angling knowledge that money cant buy.

My friend and i have spent upto 10 days continuos daily fishing with the captain and i cant wait until i once again having the company on the water with this affable Gambian.

For a reasonable fee you will be transported fom your hotel to the famous fishing port called Denton Bridge.You will get a full days fishing which includes pickup from your hotel,use of fishing tackle,bait supplied,lunch and on your return you will be transported back to your hotel.

The fishing,weather permitting is of your choice.You can go out in the Atlantic to troll the deep troughts for huge Barracuda going upto 25kilo in weight finishing your day by fishing the reef for your supper,fish include the delicious Butterfish,Angel fish,grouper,Trigger,Jacks

fish etc,oh! and dont forget the Sting Ray!!!!! If your lucky you may also have the company of Dolphins or spot a large Turtle.

On the other hand if its a relaxing trip up the creek into the River Gambia you prefer Pa knows the fishing hot spots where not only is there wonderful birdlife,theres also some great fishing to be had in the form of Pomano,Cassava(Ladyfish),Red Snapper,sting ray,Frogfish,Butterfish,Grouper and the prize catch if your lucky of a big Captainfish upto 30 kilo.

To put it in a nutshell this is a Gambian experiance to treasure.

Pa is based at the Laico Atlantic Hotel in Banjul or the address above.

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
306 posts
9. Re: Sea fishing

The fishing by boat is good if you know where to go, and method to use. The problem is that most boat fishing companies in Gambia do not have a clue about either. As for the comment about being expensive and unproductive. You could be with the best angler in Gambia on one of the hotspots and still catch nothing if the fish are not feeding. Same as anywhere on the planet. Running a boat and replacing quality tackle is not cheap, and boat fishing in Gambia is around 20% of the daily cost in Florida for example. A typical big game lure costs as much as £30 lose a couple of those and any profit is gone. I am just back from a month fishing from Kartung to Guinea Bissau Islands, and river Casamance. Fantastic trip and plenty of fish of all kinds. I will get round to giving some more details in a week or so.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 15:30
10. Re: Sea fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Gambia
Recent Conversations