We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash or travellers cheque

England
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
cash or travellers cheque

hi - would you reccommend taking cash or TCH? is there a charge for exchanging Tch in Gambia?

thanks

Northallerton
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
11. Re: cash or travellers cheque

So we are talking two thefts here. How can this be when everybody is so honest on the smiling coast. Breezy feel sorry that you got tapped once. But twice that would indicate to me that the smiling coast has got a big crime problem.

12. Re: cash or travellers cheque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 February 2012, 08:51
North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
13. Re: cash or travellers cheque

Hi Northallerton

So you have been monitoring my posts have you!! Has it ever occured to you that some people don't actually believe what I say or even what anyone else might say for that matter!! The arguments I have had with my insurance company of these two occassions was unbelievable, I fought and won the first case but lost the last battle which somewhat made me not only annoyed but it also was a big wake up!! Like get real as where ever you go you will get this as they see us as rich and by everyones admission they are so poor!!

I mentioned this theft when I first started on this forum if you care to look back!! so it not new!! Why should I burst peoples bubbles??? I happen to be a victim of crime which I really learn't from.. But it took 3 times of visiting to work things out "like why do I spend so much in a third world country" Let me see!! and lets monitor what I keep in the safe... By doing this I then knew that people were borrowing and not putting back!!

When asked for help from these people, I tell them that we are just 2 people and cannot help everyone. So how can I offer advise to people that don't want to listen!!

People/visitors they keep their own council and make their own decisions!! I love the Gambia and always will, but I also have a healthy respect for the people and their culture and the poor will always want a bit from the rich, which unfortunately a lot of people really don't understand!! I certainly don't wear rose coloured glasses!! Ho Dear I feel a bleep................ coming on!!

Maybe it is time for me to leave this forum!! outlived my usefulness comes to mind, but at least I speak the truth!!

Edited: 05 February 2012, 23:58
scotland
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
7 reviews
14. Re: cash or travellers cheque

NO Breezy stay,Had North ever witnessed the summary justice meeted out to thieves in Serrekunda Market, he would not say there is a crime wave

North if you visited the online Gambian papers ,there are less reported thefts in a month than our papers report in a day.

Theft is not tolerated I say is not tolerated not condoned amongst the Gambian population

Now OPPORTUNISTIC THEFT from Tourists that is another matter, whether inside hotels or outside of them.

A "Nice Boy" has tried to open the Bumbag I had put the money in immediately after I had cashed a travelers cheque.

Whilst I was trying to get rid of he was slipping the zip open and had his fingers on the zip handle and had started to pull a 100 dalasi note from the bumbag

That was in Westfield ,cops and locals all around ,watch" the nice boys" please.

They would have the milk from your tea and return for the sugar!!

Get rid of unknown boys anyway you can!!

Edited: 06 February 2012, 01:42
15. Re: cash or travellers cheque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2013, 14:57
Get answers to your questions about Gambia