We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash or travellers cheque

England
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
cash or travellers cheque

hi - would you reccommend taking cash or TCH? is there a charge for exchanging Tch in Gambia?

thanks

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: cash or travellers cheque

Hi

If you're nervous about security then the added cost of travellers cheques are worthwhile. Normally you will get D1 less when you exchange TC compared to cash.

Rgds

Haydn

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: cash or travellers cheque

Hi Karenandrob

I was a cash person but due to some very good posts on here, I now think that I am converted to taking travellers cheques!!

scotland
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: cash or travellers cheque

Hi, cash for arrival,I change around 50 pounds after giving the taxi a tenner,that lets new people get a feel for the money ,

Then I use travelers cheques if either lost or stolen it is win win ,you never lose out

Do not accept less than 1 dalasi than the top rate , find someone who deals at that and stick with them

I was about to say get a taste for the money ,dont put hands near your mouth after handling the notes :-( use hand alcohol Gel after handling cash

enjoy the hols

Northallerton
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
4. Re: cash or travellers cheque

Here we go again Bruffers Dou chav vou or what?

5. Re: cash or travellers cheque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 February 2012, 05:35
Edited: 05 February 2012, 05:35
Northallerton
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
6. Re: cash or travellers cheque

Bruffers please accept my apologies

scotland
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: cash or travellers cheque

forgotten already :-) :-)

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: cash or travellers cheque

Hi Karenandrob

we lost a total of £500 in 6 weeks not a huge amount but it was to us, so really we only have to work out that paying for Travellers cheques and then maybe getting less in dalasi cost very little compared to the loss we suffered from two hotel safes!! Thankfully we were able to claim back the first theft, but it was more by luck than managment the second theft no chance we lost that one. There is only you that can make the decision but hopefully armed with some point of views you make the right choice.!!

There have been some good posts on here which are recent infact ,just this week , so you will find some useful information about this subject!!

Edited: 05 February 2012, 04:28
Northallerton
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
9. Re: cash or travellers cheque

Breezy you lost £500 quid in 6week being robbed. Are you for real or have I read your post wrong.

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: cash or travellers cheque

One vist in February and one in April £250 stolen from two different hotels with 2 different types of safes!! I hope that make sense to you!!!

Get answers to your questions about Gambia