We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Kololi

North West England...
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Beach at Kololi

We are going to be staying at the Kairaba Htl Kololi in November

I have read that the beach is prone to sea erosion does anyone know if this is a fact ? I have also read that the hotel actualy bring in shed loads of sand to make up for the erosion does anyone know if this is true?

Getting a bit bothered we like the beach rather than the pool area's

bit more of a breeze.

Ilminster, United...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Beach at Kololi

Hi

Yes the beaches in this area were almost totally destroyed in a freak storm in the winter of 97 now there is very little left and in high season very overcrowded Luckily a short taxi ride will take you to excellent beaches at Kotu and Cape Point or even a walk along the beach although this can take forever since so many people will want to speak to youon the way In my opinion the best beaches are to the south of the TDA at Sanyang and beyond again an easy taxi ride rgds

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Beach at Kololi

sorry to disagree irish, never seen any of the beaches over crowded,plenty of sunbeds and space, the irosion is there, they now have built stairways down to the beach, not very safe looking my I add,

I agree the beaches are better in Kotu, which is usually where we end up

lincoln
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Beach at Kololi

the beaches are realy suffering going in a few weeks will let you know lol

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Beach at Kololi

beach tester, do you need a second opinion,lol

enjoy

Ilminster, United...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Beach at Kololi

sunny

I go back to the days when there was approx 250/300ft of beach at Senegambia (seriously) anything I see now looks crowded to me rgds

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
804 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Beach at Kololi

Beach at Kololi was replenished by the Dutch about 9/10 years ago. They pumped millions of tons of sand onto the beach from the sand spars and the Germans all moaned that it was too far to walk to the sea!! It has been gradually eroded by the Atlantic over the time and in January when we were last there it had nearly returned to where it was in 2001/2002. There is always plenty of room, but if you want a quiet beach walk 15 - 20 minutes south (look at the sea and turn left) and you can walk for miles. Or head north (turn right) and you can walk all the way to Leybatos, well worth the 50 -60 minute stroll to enjoy a Julbrew or three at sunset( get a taxi back). Enjoy cos we will in 31 days time.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
1 review
7. Re: Beach at Kololi

Wandered along beach and up through Kairaba in March, sorry have to disagree, there wasnt a single spare sun bed that day. We 1st stayed there 5 yrs ago, there are less sun beds there now due to further erosion.

Edited: 11 October 2011, 02:36
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
8. Re: Beach at Kololi

Yes me too...I find that area around Karaiba and Senegambia really crowded. I remember when you had to walk out to the sea there....so different now. Would def take a walk some days either left or right!

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
804 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Beach at Kololi

All I can go by is our experience and in January this year we had no problems on the Senegambia hotel beach for the whole two weeks getting a sun bed. Will give an update in a few of weeks when we are there again.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
50 reviews
10. Re: Beach at Kololi

yes we all go by experience, so it looks like sometimes crowded, other times not

Get answers to your questions about Gambia