We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 29 going mobile

london
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
Save Topic
June 29 going mobile

I can imagine that if someone was in a crisis in the middle of nowhere it might be helpful, but who is going to use the internet on their mobile abroad? Perhaps I'm missing something - let me know! - yours truly, stupid dyed blonde...

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 29 going mobile

I know where you are coming from,but, not everyone has the ability to completely "switch off" when they go on holiday, Self employed, business owners, managers, sales people etc. may need to stay in touch in order to protect their interests. The good thing is that this shouldnt spoil other peoples holidays and its no different to listening to music or simply reading a book or newspaper.

Everyone has different requirements on holiday. Personally I find lying in the sun an absolute nightmare but can wander around all day and love it.

The most important thing is to recognise and respect everyones' right to do what they want to do. After all its their money, their holiday, their life.

Just live, let live and respect.

Edited: 24 June 2010, 11:32
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 29 going mobile

As Bilchesters has stated some of us have no choice.

I run my own business & while I have a friend who covers the telephone calls in the UK (office telephone put though to a UK mobile) I simply couldn't afford NOT to have interenet access while I was away as there's so much I know about my clients it would be impossible to brief someone else in every eventuallity that may possibly occur while I was out of the country. Also the cost of employing someone full time while I was away would make the cost of a holiday prohibitive.

The internet is cheaper and more effective for clearly & precisely issuing instructions to contractors and communicating with a groups of people in one go.

We're not all "one size, one fit " I think is the message here!

Ilminster, United...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 29 going mobile

Hi

I think this post was a comment on the new "sticky" at the top of the page and not a reflection of individuals choice on holiday rgds

london
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: June 29 going mobile

Thanks irishadrian!

I too have my own business so know how important the internet is!

I just thought the "sticky" rather amusing, seeing every forum user jumping for joy that they could now stay in contact?!*

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: June 29 going mobile

I had a quick look to see what it might cost to connect via a mobile. No easy job working out just what it will cost you but be warned, it could be more than a green taxi to Timbuktu.

"Taking Orange for example, data roaming can cost up to £8 per MB - to put that in to context, receiving an email with a 1MB attachment would cost you £8!"

Is there an 'app' to work out the cost of a green taxi from the airport yet?

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: June 29 going mobile

When it comes to using the internet on your mobile abroad, the best advice is don't do it. While some networks are offering special deals, roaming abroad is still far from cheap. Text and talk is definitely cheaper.

• Switch off the data roaming option in your phone settings - or ask your supplier to switch off the voicemail and data services for the duration of your break

• Ask your provider to cap data roaming charges to an affordable level

• If you have an unlocked phone, then buy a local SIM card when you arrive if you want to make calls within the country

• If you know you will be calling home while away, look into buying an international PAYG SIM, such as Truefone

• Speak to your mobile phone provider about overseas charges - you may be able to switch onto a cheaper roaming package

• Remember that while you're abroad you won't be able to use your inclusive minutes, texts and data allowance and will pay to receive as well as to make calls

• If taking your phone for emergencies only, switch it off before you leave the UK and only switch on if needed while away, as charges can rack up every time you turn the phone on

• If you want to keep in touch, consider texting rather than calling - it's far cheaper

• If you are a Pay As You Go customer, make sure you have sufficiently topped up before you travel

• If travelling with someone else, consider taking just one mobile between you.

• If your phone is lost or stolen, report it to your mobile provider asap as you will be liable for any calls made. Make a note of the emergency contact number for your network and keep this separate from your mobile.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 29 going mobile

I use my phone all the time to access the internet, in fact I'm using it right now whilst watching Japan whoop Denmark. Oops, Denmark just scored. Anyway, it doesn't have to cost the earth, you can connect via WLAN in an awful lot of places, including the 2* Palma Rima in the Gambia.

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: June 29 going mobile

I'm no mobile boffin but are we now talking about a totally different way of connecting. Via a LAN or WLAN as we would via netbook or laptop is not the same as using your mobile service providers access.

If you watched a game of footy or downloaded a film in Gambia using your mobile network it would be far more expensive than connecting to a local service provider of internet WLAN.

Scudder, are you fiddling with your Blackberry or are you into an Apple?

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 29 going mobile

I couldn't possibly divulge on a polite forum what I'm fiddling with, but yes, I often connect via WLAN on my phone.. Yes I do have a whizz bang model at the moment but any phone with internet facility bought in the last 3 years or so have the facility. No way would I data roam abroad...

10. Re: June 29 going mobile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Gambia