We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

london
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
Save Topic
Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

Yes, I know I'm here again!

Can someone give me some advice for a friend of mine? They are looking for a week over or just after Xmas.

Which would be the best hotel for the following:

Mum & Dad early 30's down to earth people, 2 & 10 yr old children - one room. So family friendly is a must and evening entertainment not a big deal (just as well!). I imagine with the children they will not want to go out EVERY night for their lunch/evening meal. I also think they would not want to cook themselves every lunch/night, so kiddie food available in restaurant a must.

They are not there to see the sights, just an introduction to TG and a week's rest (not that it'll be possible with small one's!!). Although I'm sure they will want to visit local schools as the Mum is a Schl Head.

I have explained (from our one and only visit and also from your wonderful advice) that B&B is best and stock fridge from local supermarket etc. BUT I know what children are like at that age and lots of drinks, ice creams etc etc get wasted, also adult food and drink when looking after the little ones get wasted/split/knocked on floor or just plain cold and unedible!

I'm just wondering if the AI Sheraton would suit them best as atleast they would know the price before they left and could then take enough for the evenings they want to go out??

I did tell them the Kairaba would probably suit them as right on the strip and can stock up fridge etc, but as never been to that hotel thought I would pass it on to you guys!!

They are not expecting 5 star luxury but I should mention that they have done 5 star in Maldives several times - so I think they will expect atleast a nicely A/C decorated/clean room, especially as they have small children.

I explained our stay at the Senegambia last year in great detail so they know the quality of our 3 star (great for us) although we had to do several room changes before we got one with A/C that cooled the room. I also suggested for the kids a nice beach - not for the kids to swim in but for sand castle purposes on the shore line!

Any suggestions would be great as I would love to help them find a hotel they would be happy with for the family and more converts to TG than caribbean!!

Many thanks, jacks

Mentioned in this post
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
913 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,376 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

Hi Jacks

I think you've already given them good advice, and the hotlels you've suggested are probably best suited. I personally would never go near an AI hotel in TG as I think you would be missing out on what I think TG is all about, but each to his own.

The Ocean Bay is also a good quality hotel with a lovely sandy beach, but Cape Point may be a little too quiet for them. For first timers I would personally direct them to either the Kairaba or Senegambia hotel depending on their tastes.

Rgds

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort
1,002 Reviews
Bakau, Gambia
Cape Point Hotel
Cape Point Hotel
63 Reviews
Bakau, Gambia
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
913 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,376 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Ilminster, United...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

jackgo

At Kairaba the 2 year old is not charged for. Take a look at accessgambia.com/hotelweb/bungalow-beach.html seems to tick all your boxes and on one of the best beaches in TG rgds

Mentioned in this post
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
913 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Ilminster, United...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

jackgo

Dont pay any attention to Bungalow Beach price list on their website very much cheaper booked through tour operators rgds

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

Beach at Kairaba not much good for a 2 yr old on shoreline, have to negotiate those steep steps to sea. How about Luigis? Small pool right outside 2 bed apartment. 50 yrds from flat beach. Have kids toys in restaurant. And ice creams for sale. Close enough to everywhere else. Is self catering but they do breakfast in restaurant. I never cooked whilst there. Very clean, high standard accom. Not 5 star but on par with kairaba in decor. Fruit sellers 50 yds away. Pizzas, pasta etc on doorstep. Highly recommended but may be fully booked for xmas by now.

Not sure what you mean by kids food? Mine have always eaten smaller porrtions of adult food.

Edited: 25 June 2010, 03:39
Mentioned in this post
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
913 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

Good answer Granny. Also what about Jarma Beach?? Thought that was very child friendly

london
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

Thanks for all info, spoke to them this pm and forwarded your comments - they will check the hotels they like on TA reviews and forums - hopefully they will have a great hol. I personally think the Kairaba would be great as then they can just walk from the hotel when they have the kids ready and return when want, very easily, without the hassle of getting in and out of cabs.

Anyone found a bargain for malarone this year??? I have also told them to consider the price of tablets x 4 on top of hol price!! How do you get a very young child to swallow a tablet every day - was bad enough getting Daniella to take one up to age of 10!!

Was quite a shock to me (cost of Malarone) when we experienced it for the first time when we went to Kenya. On top of that were visa expenses too - think that trip extra costs came to £400 - which we hadn't even thought of. We had expected jab expenses but if you haven't been before you just don't know.

I'm well travelled and know certain countries need visas, vacinations and malaria tablets but I believe that some new travellers to TG enquiring on TA about various things are not told about the cost of malaria tablets. I know you can get cheaper than Malarone but that's my preference as have a hard time keeping tabs on family taking them 2 days before hols, every day on hols, and then week after hols - let alone a month after get back!

Maybe when newbies ask advice about TG the "experts" could mention about the costs of malaria tablets? By the time we went for our jabs and get prescription for tablets (for Kenya) it would have been too late to cancel our holiday if we could not have afforded £000's for Malarone tabs. We were lucky we had enough dosh to pay for them but I'm certain some people pay for their hols, save for their spending money and then 8 wks before hols have a great surprise when go to Docs for jabs... along with a private scrip to pay for and a visit to a pharmacy to pay for too!

Like I said, if you've been before you are aware. If you've been to the Caribbean and are a newbie to TG you would just assume all jabs are done at the docs incl a malaria jab!

Just a suggestion - anyway, way off the original subject, sorry about that - thanks for your help, will let u know the outcome - jacks

Mentioned in this post
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
913 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
7. Re: Hotel expert needed, family with 2 & 10 yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Gambia
Recent Conversations