We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

as the season started?

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
49 reviews
as the season started?

it sure as, ive had so many text from Gambia, ha har

and its eventually happened like I said it would, only one Gambian friend had not asked for anything, I said it dont matter how long you know them, just bide your time and it will come

Well afraid to say I was right, and taken 7yrs.

It sure makes you think

lincoln
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: as the season started?

its realy buzzin now laid on the beach like sardines in a tin

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
2. Re: as the season started?

Sunny are you saying that it has taken 7yrs for someone to ask you a favour? If so I'd say that was pretty good going!! Just shows to me that Gambians are no different to anyone else!! When things get tough and they are desperate they turn to their friends for some help. Isn't that what friends do anywhere??

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: as the season started?

oh yes i do know that, we have had many friends, but real friends dont ask,

we have taken, given, treated many,

this was one guy who, has had a lot from us, and never, ever asked for anything, which actually made us give more to him,

was sort of disappointed, because he proved me right, they all ask in the end,

we still will be friends though,

stoke-on-trent...
Level Contributor
918 posts
4. Re: as the season started?

what sunny is trying to say ridimchef is that they are all after something in the end ?

freinds are people that give aswell as take no matter how rich/poor you are in my eyes ?

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
5. Re: as the season started?

Am glad to here that you have helped out when you can Sunny, thats all anyone can do. You are obviously a kind hearted person, but I have to disagree with dazzerboy, I dont think someone is a bad friend because they ask you for some help!! Also to imply that everyone in the Gambia is on the make is totally unfair!! I have received great generosity from people in Gambia who had little or nothing to give.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: as the season started?

this time will be our 10th visit over 7yrs, we have had friends during that time, not one of the( apart from this one) as lasted the course,

ive had texts asking for £100 to buy this or buy that, others who have ripped us off, some who have really hurt us, please dont tell me I dont know what im talking about, if you knew all the details then you would weep,

Back to what I meant, I have said previously, we only have one friend, who hasent asked for anything, I also said I would wait, but believed it would happen, hes proved me right, that is what I saying,

Hampshire
Level Contributor
338 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: as the season started?

While I agree that there are alot of Gambians on "the take" from Europeans, I do believe alot are genuine. We employ a husband and wife and will always take clothing, mobiles, shoes etc for them. I am always happy for them to tell us what they most need (generally it's shoes!) If we have extra stuff then we will pass it on to others and we will pretty much always expect our gifts to be sold on - fair enough.

Now whilst donning my tin hat, I would just like to say that I can understand Gambians asking for things. I think we have it very easy over here with Govt hand outs, council houses etc etc etc. An old mobile phone or Walkman mean nothing to me and I am always happy to pass these things on!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
8. Re: as the season started?

I don't consider 'friendship' in waiting to be asked for something,it's seeing if there is anything that can be done and giving before it becomes a necessity. I saw our friend building a 'add-on' to his family compound brick by brick whilst in full employment,he had to live apart from his new wife until completion.He welcomed us to his home,fed us and bought beers (on several occasions) guided us on trips and made sure that we always arrived to our hotel. The 'gift' I gave him on departure meant he could have a roof over his head for the rainy season. I have had some texts from them saying how things were going,never asking for more. I'm not a 'soft touch' far from it but if I can use my money to help someone in need then I shall do so until I'm not in a position too. Oh btw just helped a friend here that's down on their luck too -it happens everywhere not just TG!!!

lincoln
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: as the season started?

hi sunny wot did he ask for your house keys we got asked for a flat screen tv and money to buy a ram i know that if they dont ask they dont get but when they have known you as long as this person has known us it just tends to make you think dont it?

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: as the season started?

hi stevie, no not house keys mate,

we will still look after him as we have done for 7yrs,

my only point was that it always comes, just wait and wait, did think he would just accept all the things we were giving him, not to worry though, do know they have nothing, and to be honest, hes a lovely family man

just dont think some people realise it can take time a very long time before they ask,