We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much hassle

north east
Level Contributor
281 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
How much hassle

Hi all

a friend & i are considering gambia for a quick break , we are both well travelled (females) & not the type to spend our days lounging by the pool , we like to be out & about seeing & doing things , going to markets , eating at traditional places etc

alot of reviews that i read on gambia moan about the amount of hassle you get & people trying to con you (or enlist you as their lady friend - no thanks! ) , is it really that bad?? we have both been to places like egypt , morocco ,tangiers , india...... is it really any worse than those places?

we don't mind a bit of banter but we don't want endless hassle ( have to admit with a different friend in one part of morocco a few years ago it was just ridiculous to the extent that we couldn't wait to get out of town!)

any advise much appreciated

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much hassle

hi girls,

i think you well be fine.it is a nice place,i went 2 times this year and i will go back in december.

in april i went with me daughter (11) and we had a great time. best place to stay is kololi or kotu.

north east
Level Contributor
281 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much hassle

thanks , thats reassuring , we just don't want to come back feeling that we were robbed of the great expriences by the amount of hassle!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How much hassle

I honestly think it all depends on how you deal with it. If you are able to laugh and join them at their own game (we play baffle the bumster) its fine. If you allow it to get to you it will spoil your trip.

A firm no thanks, or please can we walk alone usually does the trick.

If you have been to Morocco etc I think you will cope. Away from the tourist area its fine, its only the kids who tend to bother then (I think in one village the game was 'touch the toubab' by the kids but it was lovely to see them giggle) Do not give anything to one child only, I can guarantee another 5000 will appear from nowhere!

We are going for our 3rd time at xmas taking elderly mother and 16yr old daughter for 1st time so it cant be that bad.

Only once did we have to be bordering on rude and thats because the guy was hassling me into taking a gift of a necklace which I did not want (they say its a gift and then the next day as you for one back) We have since met the friend this guy was with many times whilst out and about and he has apologised for the guys behaviour often.

Just remember this is a living for some of these people, often they will offer good service at good prices for trips etc but there are some con men. Same as everywhere in the world, be savvy, stay safe and dont give money away for nothing.

HTH

north east
Level Contributor
281 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much hassle

good to hear your views thanks , sounds pretty much like other places we've travelled

ipswich
Level Contributor
798 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much hassle

not going to hide things but yes you do get hassle from time to time but you just have to be strong with your reactions..... no means no!! If you say maybe it means yes to gambians!!!

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much hassle

If you have suvived Morocco, I'm sure you will find Gambia a dawdle, and have a lovely time

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much hassle

Hi you have been given sound advice already but if you've been to Morocco & Egypt (i.e. Luxor/Aswan) you should be pleasantly suprised with the 'hassle' in Gambia and able to cope!!!

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How much hassle

blue07 - really, is Luxor/Aswan much worse than the Gambia? I'm just planning a trip to Egypt so would be interested.

Irishdraft - The worst bit is leaving your hotel where you do feel a bit pounced on. I found that after a few days where I told them and they saw me using public transport we were able to have some funny chats. It is all about having a sense of humour and not letting it get to you. I have to admit though that one night I did lose it as a man followed me and my 2 year old daughter home from a restaurant constantly saying 'I want you to be wife, I feel such a deep connection' blah blah, I shouted at him 'get out of my face' and several Gambians came over and told him to go away.

I didn't get any hassle at all in Serrekunda or Banjul.

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much hassle

It's slightly worse the north Africa and much, much better than India.

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much hassle

i think it is not so bad it is different to Europe. people more open to talk to you,not like in england you can go to the town and nobody says hello i think this is sad.

just be strong and say " no thank you"

see i like too talk to local people,i go and see the fruit Lady's on the beach or the tourist guides and we drink Tara tea and it is nice.

we now Osman our tourist guide since 2007 and when i go with me daughter (hubby can`t come because of work)Osman looks after us and it is nice, we as a family like the Gambia and it is nice to see how other families live in the world.

Osman's family cooks for us and we sit all to getter out side under the big tree.

people say they only want your money but i was very surprise as Osman's mam gave us some Gambian dresses and i love my dress and i wear my dress a lot.

if you go, take some pencils with you the kids love them (25 pence for 10 in asda)and if you go on trips take small 5 dalasi notes with you. we do all our trips with the tourist guides it is much more fun and you will save lots of money.

if you have any question just ask or pm me.Simone

when will you fly to the Gambia?

Get answers to your questions about Gambia