We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes/duty free

Surrey
4 posts
1 review
Cigarettes/duty free

We are travelling to the Gambia in a couple of weeks. Are we better to get cigarettes in duty free at Gatwick or cigarettes cheaper in the Gambia?

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

cheaper in resort

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
721 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

Between £8-£10 a carton in march.

Surrey
4 posts
1 review
3. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

thanks fr you reply were these B&H Gold and not dodgy ones

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
721 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

That was for superkings,never had any bad ones yet.

Ramsgate
Level Contributor
468 posts
5. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

Weve alway bought b n h (gold) and been absolutely fine. I think around 35D for 20 in April

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
6. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

Picked up £50 worth between Mrs Bod and myself.

Stopped at departure lounge entrance and whispered my name from a piece of paper.

Taken into lounge and sat down. How many times to Gambia etc. Shows my luggage number and says lets “step outside”. Says UK and Gambia have agreement to phone about people carrying too many cigs.

Asks for £50 says ‘this is the usual he gets’. I pay £25, he’s not happy.

Arrive UK get pulled for cigs and have them taken and warning issued.

Never happened before in 12 years. I never brought back more than 200 before though, erm, not in the same case anyway.

Anyone else brought back an extra carton? Apparently Gambia is not part of the euro system, but check yourself on limits as things change so quickly nowadays even customs struggle to explain themselves properly.

Bod.

P.S. Had a great laugh with the customs man in UK… Chin up mate, One day you’ll make it off night shift.

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

When was this BOD? We usually bring about 8-10 cartons back (in hand luggage as don't have cases!!) and never had a problem. Didn't do it in August cos just didn't get time, but we were going to buy some at duty free, guess what? It was shut! Not happy bunnies having to pay UK prices. Like to have a couple of months of cheap smokes.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
585 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

We came back two years ago with 2000 cigs and were stopped at gatwick all cigs confiscated not even allowed to deduct normal allowance 200each.Then had to sign forms which had our address and passport numbers and were told in no uncertain terms that if we were caught again we would definately be prosecuted, so i suppose its the gamble you take

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
9. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

Arrived Sat 3am landing.

I often wondered how the few people stopped allways had cigs but guessed just about everyone brought a few extra cartons.

It seems like customs have nothing better to do than catch you after your holiday to just let you know that that feeling of being 'Bumstered' happens in the UK too...

Split your cartons between bags...

If Ebrima comes wispering in your ear you might wana go red on arrival. As he calls UK unless he gets his £50 or maybe the calls gone through before he creeps up on you so I'ts a waste of money whatever...

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
50 reviews
10. Re: Cigarettes/duty free

its the luck of the draw back in uk airport, they cant catch everyone with cigs, but why dont they concentrate on drugs

dont think paying anyone in the gambia helps what happens here, not at all, no matter how much you pay, i would not pay a penny.

Get answers to your questions about Gambia