We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extending visa

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Extending visa

I have stayed many times in the gambia usually extending my visa at Senegambia office. I understand that max stay doing this is 90 days. Is there any way I can easily leave country eg ferry to Senegal to get my passport restamped? I do not want to get an ailian card or residency. Many thanks

52 replies to this topic
Gambia
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Extending visa

How long doo you actually intend to stay PF86 ?

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Extending visa

Well a trip into Senegal and back would mean your passport being stamped with a new visa - usually 21 or 28 days. As to this being an easy thing to do well you have to factor in the Banjul-Barra crossing before you even get to the border, then the return trip

A couple of years back I was chatting to the young girl on the immigration desk at the airport telling her I was staying for a 28 days and that I wished it was longer. She handed me the passport saying "You have 32 days". When I looked in my passport there was a different style of visa stamp with the number of days written in by hand with her signature so it is possible to get more than 28 upon arrival - but probably only a few more days.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Extending visa

Hi

A total of five months. I was hoping not to have to fly back half way through.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Extending visa

Not sure of the relative costs between visa extensions and residency permit but one option might be to extend for the max permitted 3 months and just before it runs out pop over to Senegal, get a new 28 day visa upon re- entry then extend that one as required?

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Extending visa

I thought it was possible to get your visa extended at the local police station every month. We have friends who stay for 8 or 9 months of the year and I’m sure this is what they do. I stand to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Diaz x

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Extending visa

Re post#2 @trev d

Similarly in January this year we went through and said we were staying for 32 days and the booth we went through had a well dressed gentleman with a moustache who appeared to be a senior immigration officer.

Our passports were stamped with a "seen on arrival stamp", not a tourist visa stamp. It has the date and his signature. Nothing else.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Extending visa

Hi.Yes, I got one of those last year. The stsmp is shaped like a pyramid. I was told that I would hsve to show my residency proof on leaving so I got 2 renewals to be on the safe side. Looks like I might have a trip on the gilly to Senegal. I have some contacts there who will advise on the best way to travel. A new experience. Thanks to all for you replies.

Gambia
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Extending visa

You could just pop over the river at Kartong , there is a GID office there - much easier

Banjul, Gambia
Level Contributor
208 posts
9. Re: Extending visa

Or just pay for a residen permit full stop

Why should you be different ? Gambians who get there visa applications to enter the UK have to pay £126 and if turned down loose that money ,You want to stay in The Gambia PAY End off.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Extending visa

Agree.... and it would probably work out much cheaper too.

Assuming you get charged each time you renew your visa, a Residence Permit at 1,100 dalasis is a bargain..

Reply to: Extending visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gambia