We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disability aids in Gambia

Disability aids in Gambia

Does anyone know if it’s possible to hire a mobility scooter or electric wheelchair in Gambia?? I’m traveling there in Jan 2018 with my 80 year old mother and friend who has limited mobility.

17 replies to this topic
Kololi, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

Never seen them there or for hire, there are no pavements, roads are potholed....having been in a wheelchair due to an injury a few years ago I can say that everyone is only too keen to help, access in many areas not good due to steps but guys only too keen to lift you in to everywhere. I can pm details of a driver who was very helpful for me at the time if needed. Frequent power cuts don’t make it good for recharging....

Edited: 24 September 2018, 21:27
Sukuta, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

Mainly sand so I can't see how you can use a mobility scooter,If you do find one and take it on the road you won't last long with wreckless drivers over there.

Edited: 17 September 2018, 20:30
Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

Maybe ask the hotel if they know of one. Most hotels at least pay lip service to access eg ramps for getting around on the property although always only standard door widths for getting a wheelchair into a bathroom, but some dangerous drops as well I've noticed as if only a limited comprehension of health and safety issues even in the same hotel!

Worth saying I've observed some people engage an assistant for the duration, to help with getting around.

Kololi, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

Post #1 Deletion, I most definitely do not have more than one name on here, this is a joke!

As I said, I have never seen any there, there are no pavements, the roads are pot holed and frequent power cuts don’t make it easy for recharging,

Having been in a wheelchair due to injury some years back I can only say that everyone is only too happy to help you get into places where there is no slope. Taxi drivers also very helpful, I can pm info on one who helped me at the time.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

Where are you planning to stay? I ask because some hotels will be better suited than others in terms of level ground/ramps/steps etc

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
396 reviews
6. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

Anything like that and powered you will not find on rental. Plus conditions dictate a very robust machine probably with baloon type low pressure tyres as used by moutain walk disability types, not an eighty year old on holiday. The tarmac tourist area are all usable by conventional wheelchair and as others have said where no ramps are to hand a willing set of helpers appear very quickly. TC will take your wheelchair as hold baggage and get you up to your seat with the narrow airwheel seat. I think the other regular carriers will also.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

We took a wheelchair for my mum to use. It would have been a nightmare with a mobility scooter. Even on the tarmac roads there are sand filled pot holes which can cause a problem. I don’t think she’d have managed so well with a scooter. Lots of offers of help from lots of people if we struggled. I’d get a wheelchair if I was you, much lighter and easier to manoeuvre

London, England
Level Contributor
133 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

It is not possible to hire, or even buy, any type of mobility device here. As others have said so many of our roads are entirely unsuitable so please chose your hotel with that in mind. Either the Kairiba or the Senegambia will offer the best opportunity to move outside the hotel, or even within it, inside the tourist areas. The answer must be to bring a wheelchair

cumbria
Level Contributor
51 posts
9. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

My mate was going to come with me this year. He uses a foldable electric Wheelchair, and was told by TC that he would be 'manhandled' off the plane as they dont even have the lifts they use at airports to get wheelchair users on to the airplane.

10. Re: Disability aids in Gambia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2018, 15:10

Reply to: Disability aids in Gambia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gambia