We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

New post on Ethiopia Travel News -BRADT GUIDE to ETHIOPIA Updates page!!!!

Important news re visas on arrival

by philipbriggs

We understand that the Ethiopian government has passed a new ruling cancelling the facility to buy visas on arrival at Addis Ababa's Bole International Airport. If it goes ahead, the ruling may come into force as soon as 1 April 2012, and it is unclear how immigration would propose to handle any visitors who arrive without a visa expecting to buy one on arrival. We hear that several tour operators and Ethiopian Airlines are trying to persuade them not to go ahead with this ruling. But if you plan on flying into Addis Ababa after April 1, and have a facility to arrange a visa in advance in your home country, we recommend you do this asap!

philipbriggs | March 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Categories: Addis Ababa, visas | URL: http://wp.me/pipyV-fC

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
72 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

I checked earlier this morning various embassy's websites but could not find this change anywhere. The US, UK, Belgian, German embassy still refer to the possibility to get the visum on arrival at Bole airport.

We got our visum last week in the embassy in Brussels and the process was very straightforward and easy(clearly explained on their website) and we got the visum the same morning without having to wait.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

The latest i have; from a reliable tourist industry source in Addis is that the change is going ahead but operative from April 9 not April 1st...........

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

Received this today as sent to Tourist Comapnies in Addis

Cancellation of Visa on Arrival facility

for tourists arriving in Ethiopia

1. Tourists should acquire visa from their local Ethiopian embassy

in their country.

2. If there is no Ethiopian embassy in their country, they should

acquire from other assigned Ethiopian embassies in the area.

3. If there is no embassy in the area, the tour operator should

finalise the process before the tourist's arrival fulfilling the

formalities and the tourist will receive the visa on arrival.

i. Power of attorney letter from the tourist

ii. Copy of renewed business license of the tour operator

1. AU, UN and international organisations members, guests invited

by Ethiopian government and individuals who come to Ethiopia to

attend international meetings can receive visa on arrival.

2. This will be applied from 09 April 2012 (which is the 1st of the

Ethiopian month of Miaza).

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
706 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

This is the latest from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in the UK:

'In contrast to recent reports, the Government of Ethiopia have advised that no decision has been made to withdraw the visa on arrival process. Toursts can still obtain a visa on arrival at Addis Ababa (Bole) and Dire Dawa International airports.'

fco.gov.uk/en/…ethiopia

Atlantic Beach...
Level Contributor
102 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

I am very concerned - we are due to arrive in Addis on Tuesday, April 10 from the USA and have no way to obtain a visa in this short time. Advice, anyone? Thank you.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

Lastest info is that no change has been made, as per post 4 above, so you SHOULD be OK..

Have you tried ringing Ethio embassy in DC ? Tho i believe they have a reputation for not replying.....

Midva
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

I too have been hearing the same thing. My twin girls are from Ethiopia and I keep in contact with many adoptive families on Facebook. Last week, this was the news that was circulating on Facebook. So I called the adoption agency that I used and they said that they were made aware of the upcoming changes by a courier service in Wash DC. We have several people looking into this further. Please keep us updated with any news.

Atlantic Beach...
Level Contributor
102 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

Update - we traveled to Addis in April and again in early June and the visas were still available on arrival both times. However, it is no longer possible to get a multiple stay visa at the airport. For that, you must go through the Ethiopian Embassy in Washington DC or your home country. We chose to do this for the second trip using a courier and were awarded a 2 year multiple entry visa.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

I will be going to Ethiopia in 2 weeks and am going to get my Visa on Arrival. What exactly was the process of doing this? On one site I read that the office hours are very strict but can now not find that information.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VISA ON ARRIVAL in Ethiopia! - no longer ?????

Just back from Ethiopia, and we were able to get our visas at the airport, despite arriving at about 1.00 am. I think this is a 24 hour facility.

It's a case of filling in the form and queuing for a short time before handing over the payment, depending of course how many people are arriving with you.

One thing I'd point out, make sure you know your address and preferably a telephone number, in Ethiopia, as the form asks for this information. We saw one man getting a bit of a hard time because he didn't have the address of his hotel. We were being picked up at the airport by friends, and didn't have an address for them, but the phone number seemed to be enough in our case, I think it's all a bit random so go with as much information as possible.

Ethiopia is a beautiful country, I am sure you will enjoy your visit.