We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Tours

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Booking Tours

I'm going to Ethiopia in December for 3 weeks. I plan to do the Northern Circuit, Danakil depression and the Southern region including Omo Valley. I want to do a tour in Siemens (1 day), Danakil (2 days) and the Omo Valley (8-9 days). Do you think it's necessary to book online or is it possible to find a tour after I arrive?

9 replies to this topic
1. Re: Booking Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 October 2017, 14:35

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Booking Tours

You can certainly book after you arrive if you prefer and have time.

Danakil you can just turn up in Mekelle and book./ or book in an Addis office.

..and may well get a better price

Simiens i am not very well up on but think it might be better to get several prices before you go.

Omo, up to you.

However Trekking round Addis to tour company offices will be time consuming and not too easy as taxi drivers will not know many of their locations. Some companies like Ethiopian Quadrants, Hess, Kibran, and Paradise Ethiopia are located in big villas out in the suburbs where they also can park their car fleets,

Addis is massive now .

IF you are using domestic flights i would advise booking before you come as Dec/Jan is the peak season here.

Saint-Jorioz, France
Level Contributor
103 posts
226 reviews
3. Re: Booking Tours

In almost 5 weeks last spring in the northern part of Ethiopia, as an indépendant traveller, I had only booked one hotel night on arrival, I found my way and people to trek 5 days in the Simien, 5 days in the Danakil dépression, 3 days in Gondar, 2 in Axum, 2 in Mekele,4 in Lalibela......churches in Tigray, 3 days in Addis....and as I experienced it, it takes time to get with the altitude, the climate, Ethiopian time, to find and choose your guides to tour with, bargaining takes time too......Ethiopia is big, roads are improving but it remains tricky. Unless you fly a lot, 3 weeks is short to do well, with no regrets what you programmed......too short in fact.

4. Re: Booking Tours

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 October 2017, 14:35

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Booking Tours

Donald.

See post today on Thorntree Eth Forum re Arba Minch outfit for Omo tours.

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
58 posts
6. Re: Booking Tours

Hi,

I think 3 weeks is enough time to visit all what you have mentioned.

about, if will do the north all driving you need about 10 days including for the the day trip to the Siemein mount. the 2 days the Danakil( it will be either to the Dallol part where you will see, the color mountain, the camel caravan and the salt Desert or two the volcano. but if you plan carefully you can do the four days to see every thing around.

the south 7 days are enough.

I think it is better to book the tour trough agencies a head.

Level Contributor
90 posts
7. Re: Booking Tours

1,You can do it Afar easily just by your self join a group in Mekelle . Day one use a morning Flight to Mekelle from Addis and start journey to Afar the same day but i recommend you ,you need to plan three days minimum. 2, back in Addis you can fix to book with one of the tour companies, Around the Mesqal square or around Bole area for your trip to south . 3, Simen Mountains can be also easily arranged just ask one of the hotels in Gondar like Goha Hotel they have their own cars and can easily arrange you a trip.

Edited: 28 October 2017, 13:20
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Booking Tours

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to go ahead and book the Omo valley trip but wait to book any others until I'm there.

9. Re: Booking Tours

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2018, 15:18

Reply to: Booking Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted