We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

I'm asking because I've seen other forums where people who booked trips to the Danakil hadn't been told by travel agencies that the North entrance of the crater was closed because of November 2016 volcanic activity. They hiked the 4 hours and could only see the lava lake from a far distance (3km away).

I am wondering what is the current status, do you know if the crater is currently accessible?

Thanks

27 replies to this topic
Saint-Jorioz, France
Level Contributor
103 posts
226 reviews
21. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Yes it is a good way to do it, choose the operator, fix with them the trip, especially if you want to go only to the Erta Ale. As for myself, I went with ETT, 5 days in the Afar region, with one night on the Erta Ale volcano. We felt safe, trekking with a quite small group, camels and scouts along. As I bargained for 4 people the 5 days tour, in a very quiet touristic period with the state emergency effect, we got a 400 € par person expedition in a 4x4 vehicle.

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
58 posts
22. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

I remember the volcanic activity was around 20 Jan 2017 not in November 2016. Then the volcano was turned in to only smoke for few weeks, then started to be active though it is not as full as it was.

Saint-Jorioz, France
Level Contributor
103 posts
226 reviews
23. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

I had value for money with ETT, marvelous experience at the Erta Ale and Dalol. Secure, time on spots, convenient interactions with customers.

Saint-Jorioz, France
Level Contributor
103 posts
226 reviews
24. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Erta ale , since September 2017 has the longest (14,5kms) active lava field in the world.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
25. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Small precision:

All the people did the ascent roughly at the same time and were sticking together, my group was around 35 people and those people did book with different agencies. So basically I my opinion it doesn't really matter which agency you choose. The volcano is only accessible by 4x4 and the last 12 kms take roughly 2 hours. You sleep on small mattresses about 200 meters away from the lava lake but do not have direct views on the lava from there. Get a least a scarf, the fumes are super toxic!

Edited: 30 October 2017, 15:45
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
26. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Thanks for your detailed report. I will be doing a Danakil tour in December of this year. I have contacted some of the agencies listed on this thread for prices.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
51 posts
27. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Still active

Reply to: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted