We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

I'm asking because I've seen other forums where people who booked trips to the Danakil hadn't been told by travel agencies that the North entrance of the crater was closed because of November 2016 volcanic activity. They hiked the 4 hours and could only see the lava lake from a far distance (3km away).

I am wondering what is the current status, do you know if the crater is currently accessible?

Thanks

27 replies to this topic
Berlin, Germany
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Hi there!

We been there three days a go and it was good and was verry active .

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Hi Kryys,

I wouldn't pay much attention to the reply above. Seven of their posts have been removed for self promotion as a tour operator in the Danakil area.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Thanks beentheredonethat53, I haven't replied before because leonardamarcello's answer is a bit too vague, people did complain because they were very far from the lava lake and could not see it properly, not because they could not access the area.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

I don't know when their photo was taken but the last photo in the story is what we saw of Erta Ale once it was dark. In March we were lucky to be able to go up in daylight. It was much more interesting than after it got dark.

…cnn.com/2017/…index.html

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

So you haven't been able to see the Erta Ale with the perspective as seen on those pictures?

https:/…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

No, definitely not in mid March anyway. If you haven't been to an active volcano before I'm quite sure this will still be very exciting but I've seen many and this was a little disappointing. If possible try to get to the viewing point in daylight, it was better before it got dark because we could see the extent of the lava flow and that it was still glowing red in places almost 2 months after the eruption in January.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Thanks a lot for the info! I've seen a few volcanoes but none as much active as this one and I was hoping to take pictures of the lava lake as I've never seen one. Crossed fingers.

May I ask which other active volcanoes you have seen which you think are worth it? That would be something I could plan a next trip around :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

The best one we've seen was Tungurahua in Ecuador. It was scary because we had to detour around it on an old highway while it was erupting. The eruption caused a landslide we and some villagers had to clear in order to continue with the volcano rumbling and spewing the entire time.

Our main reason for going to Erta Ale was to see the lava lake as we had never seen one before. Unfortunately about 3 weeks before we left home it erupted and changed. I think we will have to go to Hawaii or DRC to see something similar now.

If you just want to see smoking volcanoes then Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and most of Indonesia have lots to see. If you climb Cerro Negro in Nicaragua the ground is hot and you'll be practically surrounded by smoking peaks of other volcanoes.

I hope I'm not talking you out of going on the Danakil tour because for us seeing Dallol was worth the cost of the tour even though Erta Ale was a little disappointing.

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

Mt. Nyiragongo near Goma DRC is I believe the only other lava lake on Africa. But the area sometimes closes due to fighting.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)

I was there at the end of the April and no you don't need to stand 3km away from volcano :) Of course it's not same as in the photos but you stay away abou 50-100 meters from it . If you want todo photogrpahy I guess it's all depends on the nature sometimes it has floating lava and no smoke and sometimes there is smoke so it's not very photogenic but still you can enjoy the view . I wasn't able to make photos because of smoke but I made some videos which I like more than photos . You can check one of them on my instagram @benderis .

Reply to: Is Erta Ale volcano closed right now? (July 2017)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted