We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

Hi all,

We are driving from Harare to Vic Falls in end June. We will go via Kwekwe, Gweru and Bulawayo to avoid the Beitbridge roads.

Has anyone done the trip in one stretch? Is that possible/recommendable? Or can you recommend any hotels/BBs/lodges along the way?

We are considering a stop in Bulawayo as doesn't seem to be many options closer to Vic Falls.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Harare
Harare
Harare Province, Zimbabwe
Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
117 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

It is possible to do the trip in a day but it is a longish drive 10 - 12 hours plus allowing for stops and the fact that it can be slow going through the towns en route.

Also driving the last part into Vic Falls in the evening you will be driving into the setting sun which is quite hard on the eyes and for visability.

If you do want to do it in a day you would need to leave Harare nice and early so you don't end up driving at night before reaching Vic Falls due to the risk of animals on the road, other vehicles with few/no lights and drunk drivers.

Breaking the journey half way in Bulawayo would make sense and there are plenty of good places listed here on Trip Advisor.

Mentioned in this post
Harare
Harare
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

We stayed at Garda Lodge in Bulawayo and loved it. A good stopping point for you.

Altoona, Florida...
Level Contributor
26 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

We drove Beitbridge crossing to Bulwayo, stayed at the Holiday Inn in Bulwayo to get supplies for Hwange. Then Vic Falls, Mana Pools, Harare and to Beitbridge crossing. All was easy. Not sure why you are driving from Harare to Vic Falls to avoid Beitbridge roads? All roads we drove in Zimbabwe were easy, almost empty, watch your speed, it is easy to speed, the roads are empty. Got 2 $20 tickets, we were speeding, and once we were "flying" and we were. That cost more. I have info on crossing Beitbridge border crossing if you are doing that, it was easy and quick. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Do not drive after dark, animals, people everywhere, no lights. We also stayed at the Miombo Lodge on the way from Hwange to Vic Falls, not too far off the road, beautiful, reasonable, and very African Safari. Elephants visited there waterhole, food was great, and try to get a tree house, they look out on the waterhole and feel like you are in Africa.

Mentioned in this post
Harare
Harare
Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

Thanks all!

We would prefer to do the trip in one stretch but am concerned about whether we can make it in the 11.5 hours of daylight as driving at night is not an option. Will check out accommodation in Bulawayo.

We recently drove Francistown - Harare and the trip was fine except the last part from Gweru to Harare, where we joined the road coming from Beitbridge. Road condition not great and traffic was heavy. So have been recommended to go vie Kwekwe down to Gweru. Agree that roads are generally in good condition - outside the cities :)

Mentioned in this post
Harare
Harare
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

I have done this drive several times, it is doable but is a long stretch, close on 1000km. if you leave early morning then it can be done in a day, but would recommend that you plan to get in before sunset, there is always the danger of wild animals on the road after dark as you get near the Hwange / Vic Falls Area.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

The answer is yes. I have driven to Victoria Falls more times that you will ever visit Zimbabwe and when it comes to driving in Zimbabwe and route and where roads go to and short cuts and distances, I can safely say that I have a vast experience, the distance from Harare to Victoria Falls is 880 km and unless you are towing a trailer the speed limit is 120kph except for towns and cities which are usually 80kph or 60kph and speed traps are operated regular - Don't leave Harare too early in the dark, motorists are ignorant when it comes to dipping headlights, don't travel alone in the dark and don't stop in laybys for your cuppa, treat police with respect and make sure your vehicle complies with all the regulations and laws - If you leave at 5 am from Harare you should hit Bulawayo in 6 hours I prefer to travel at 110kph on open roads have lunch at Holiday Inn Bulawayo that have guards to keep an eye on your vehicle and contents give them a tip it helps, have an hour for lunch leave for Vic Falls at 13:00 you will get to Vic Falls before dark as there are very few towns or built up areas on this last leg. the road from Bulawayo is to Victoria is a straight road no turnoffs tar is usually in good condition and traffic very low 120km hour is ok for this 440 km stretch whatever you need to know contact me John R Telford UK ex Rhodesia / Zimbabwe resident of 44 years

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
1,044 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Harare
Harare
Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

I have driven from Kwekwe to Victoria Falls, although not the same distance, I know that the drive from Harare to VF is possible. It does get tiring so if you can stop in Bulawayo or even Hwange, please do so. The small stretch from Hwange to Vic Falls is so pretty, I recommend you take your time with that route. Yes it gets dangerous in the evenings and there tends to be traffic from the heavy vehicles coming from Vic Falls as well. So daytime travel is essential.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
1,044 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Harare
Harare
8. Re: Drive from Harare to Victoria Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2016, 11:45