We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

Family of 4, incl. 2 teens will be visiting in July. Most tours have a 2 day stop. For such a dramatic sight, I am considering a third day and night... stay or have an additional day in Cape Town?

Maine or Africa
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

You can definitely take in the Falls in two days. In regards to an additional day, it depends on how many of the activities you would like to participate in that are available in the Falls area. Zip lining over the gorge, sunset cruise, whitewater rafting,elephant back safari, etc. I would plan on a full day to take in the falls themselves along with exploring the town. Check out all the extra available activities offered in and around the Falls, determine which ones, if any, you would like to do and let that determine how much time you need.

Hope this helps.

Tim Farren

Farren Safaris

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

The flights generally land around 1pm so by the time you are through immigration, transfer and settle into your hotel it's 3 o'clock ish. Generally on that first day all you can do is a evening river cruise or a helicopter flight. Then you have one full day to see the Falls and another activity and on the 3rd morning you have to leave the hotel by 10am to catch your flight. So to me the 2 night stay is very rushed, yes you can see the Falls but you won't have much time to do any of the multiple things that are on offer or just enjoy and relax in the wonderful hotels. If you have teenagers they could very likely enjoy doing the adrenaline activities or whitewater rafting.

Seeing the Falls in a single 2.5hr tour doesn't really do it justice, now with the new univisa it is easy and cost effective to see the Falls from the Zambian side as well and then also do the Livingstone island tour which is another viewing angle altogether and one I would highly recommend.

The 3 night stay definately gives you more time, it gives you the two full days here which I think once you are here you be glad to have.

Tony

VictoriaFallsGuide

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

Thank you, Tony! I appreciate your advice.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

I will opt for 3 days and 2 nights if considering doing some activities as you said you have young ones who might be interested on high wire activities, water activities and safari ones such as lion walk and elephant ride.

Philani Moyo

Shockwave Adventures

Victoria Falls

montreal
Level Contributor
694 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

we are planning to stay 7 days in VF coming from our trip to South Africa. Is it too many days ? What activities the experts would suggest not very far from VF ?

Thanks

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

Hi There

What time of year are you planning on coming? This impacts on what is available and what is worth doing.

What sort of activties do you enjoy, adrenaline, wildlife, scenic, cultural, relaxing etc?

With this information I can then make some suggestions for you

montreal
Level Contributor
694 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

we will be there at the 1st week of October . well , the problem is we dont like the adrenaline activities . We will do a lot of wildlife in SA , we like relaxing , short hikings, scenery . I thought of visiting the Falls a couple of time thinking that there is one fees but paying 30$ for each day per person is too much . I am not sure it is worth all the travelling and cost from SA not doing a lot of things .

Thanks for suggestion

Altoona, Florida...
Level Contributor
32 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

One day. See Vic Falls and leave, it is loaded with irritating hawkers that you do not find anywhere else in Southern Africa, expensive, bad food, it is not like anything else in Africa. Looking for a 2 -5 day trip, try Namibia - Etosha, South Africa - Kruger or any of the KZN parks, Zimbabwe - Hwange. We spent 1 afternoon and night there on our way from Hwange to Mana Pools, horrible. I have no idea why every travel agent wants one to go to Vic Falls on the way to anywhere, it is a Fall, pretty but not worth thousands of dollars and so much precious time, that could be spent elsewhere. An irritating tourist trap. I say that about nowhere else in Africa and I have spent 2 - 1 month vacations there.

montreal
Level Contributor
694 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

Thank you for your feedback. I am also thinking of changing my plan . Spend more time in SA instead of a lot of money to just see the Falls . For those who do a lot of activities , adrenaline or others , it is absolutely worth it but not for us !

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Falls Visit - How many days is best?

There’s plenty to do in Vic Falls but equally in Cape Town. Perhaps the best way to choose is to decide which activities you and the teens want to do most (and how much adrenaline you want to pump into your bloodstream!), e.g. bungee jump from Vic Falls bridge, whitewater rafting, jet boating, etc.

In Cape Town you should try and include a climb (or cable car) up Table Mountain, perhaps a tandem paraglide off Lion’s Head, boat trip from V&A Waterfront, Kirstenbosch Gardens, Winelands, Cape of Good Hope, Boulders Beach penguins….etc.

So much to see……so little time!

Fair Trade Safaris non-profit operator