We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

devil's pools in september

qld australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
devil's pools in september

hi, just wondering who to choose, Wild Horizons or Shearwater to do the Livingstone Island 10.30am departure with as I can't see any differences between the 2 operators, we will need transfers/visa's but I believe they organize this for us and we just pay the extra, and I know we have to have yellow fever vaccination certificates also, so any advice as to who to choose and why would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Wild Horizons
Wild Horizons
709 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Shearwater Cafe
Shearwater Cafe
1,278 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Livingstone
Livingstone
Southern Province, Zambia
Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
918 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: devil's pools in september

Wild Horizons and Shearwater are both Zimbabwe based companies neither of them operate the Livingstone island tour, but either of them will arrange it for you and they will collect you and drop you off, either of them are satisfactory to book through. Tongabezi is the company that operates the Livingstone island tour and they are the only operator that does this.

Mentioned in this post
Wild Horizons
Wild Horizons
709 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Shearwater Cafe
Shearwater Cafe
1,278 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Tongabezi
Tongabezi
449 Reviews
Livingstone, Zambia
qld australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: devil's pools in september

Thanks so much, yes I realize this but Tongabezi doesn't offer transfers so it seems pointless to arrange transfers only with wild horizons/shearwater if they are the same price as tongabezi (i am assuming they are th same price from what i have read on TA and vicfallsguide.net website etc

I am just looking for something that might set them apart so if you have any further advice that would be appreciated

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tongabezi
Tongabezi
449 Reviews
Livingstone, Zambia
Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
918 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: devil's pools in september

Both of these companies are highly reputable and will offer a good service I would see no difference between them. As it's a 3rd aprty activity plus transfers, there might be a slight variation in their prices.

Not sure what you are doing after the Livinsgtone island tour but it is quite a nice idea to make your own way back to Zimbabwe without a transfer. The Royal Livingstone Hotel is a lovely spot to stay for a drink on their big viewing deck overlooking the river, then it is a short walk through their grounds to the entrance gate to the Falls on the Zambian side. You can then see the Falls from the Zambain side.

After that clear immigration (right there) and another very short walk to the Bridge cafe where you can enjoy a drink or lunch and watch people bungee jumping off the Vic Falls bridge. You can then catch a taxi for $5 that will take you back to the Zimbabwe side immigration. just a suggection but it's quite nice.

Mentioned in this post
Livingstone
Livingstone
Southern Province, Zambia
qld australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: devil's pools in september

hi,

we are being transferred by road to our next destination so will be being picked up as soon as we finish the activity. I had thought they were all the same from what I'd read but upon enquiring directly with them I had discovered that one is actually more expensive that the other. It appears that Shearwater is actually cheaper so would go with them for this particular activity.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Shearwater Cafe
Shearwater Cafe
1,278 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: devil's pools in september

By the way, you no longer need Yellow Fever vaccinations for Zambia as of 31 January. This should save you some time and expense.

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: devil's pools in september

By the way, you no longer need Yellow Fever vaccinations for Zambia as of 31 January. This should save you some time and expense.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
124 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: devil's pools in september

Hi,

You may want to consider getting the new uni-visa at Vic Falls airport to allow trips into Zambia it will be cheaper I think than buying a separate one for Zambia at the border.

Also Yellow fever vac is generally only required if you have visited East Africa or parts of west africa recently.

Have a look at the Australian dept of health website for a full list. But my rule of thumb is visit a travel bug doctor several months prior as they have all the latest world health organization info. There are definitely some other vaccinations you will need to ensure are up-to-date for Africa travel.

qld australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: devil's pools in september

thanks so much, yes great news about no longer needing the yellow fever vacccinations and also will get the univisa at vic falls airport, thanks again for the great advice

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: devil's pools in september

Hi there, I hope you had a fantastic trip to Zambia. We are thinking of doing the same thing this year and read through your comments that yellow fever vaccination is no longer needed so just wanted to know if that was the case? Thanks Sandy

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
449 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: devil's pools in september

That is correct and for sure its good news.

The South African department of health has officially lifted the requirement that yellow fever vaccinations are needed to travel between Zambia and South Africa.

After being declared a yellow fever free zone by the World Health Organisation in January, the South African health department has now announced that travellers no longer need to obtain certification of vaccination.

The decision was made official at the World Health Assembly on Friday January 30th in Geneva, following the confirmation by the WHO that Zambia has a low yellow fever potential exposure status.

This is good news for travellers as they will be able to cross from South Africa to Zambia and visit Victoria Falls - one of the Seven Wonders of the World, without the requirement of the vaccination.

Philani Moyo - Owner & Guide

Shockwave Adventures

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
1,038 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe