We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Safari experience/South Africa

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Best Safari experience/South Africa

My wife and I are planning a trip to East and South Africa in end of August to beginning of September.

1. We can not decide if we should fly into Nairobi or Kilimanjaro. We are looking for a good deal on Safaris and see a lot of animals. Which location is best bang for the buck?

2. We also want to be able to fly out to South Africa from there but finding the flight to be very expensive from Kilimanjaro. Can anyone suggest some cheap local airline or non flight options to get from East Africa to South Africa?

3. We want to rent a car in Cape Town and do the Garden Route drive. Would anyone recommended driving or it is not safe?

PS. this is our first time in Africa.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Best Safari experience/South Africa

I've never been to Kenya, but I love Tanzania beyond my ability to express it.

I've driven from Cape Town to the Cape of Good Hope, and that's a lovely drive. Driving is perfectly safe. Haven't done the wine country, but I have no doubt that there would be no problem with respect to safety in that area. The only real problems you might have in South Africa, from my experience, would be in the Jo'burg area or in the townships in any large city.

Remember that the distance between either Kenya or Kilimanjaro and South Africa is greater than that between Los Angeles and New York -- or between London and Istanbul. The reason that the flights are expensive is that the distance is great. You might get better rates out of Dar, but you'll not safe a great deal.

You don't say how long you're planning to stay in either place, but my instinct tells me that you might be better off saving one or the other of these areas for a separate trip at another time.

As to seeing "a lot of animals," the northern circuit of Tanzania is staggering in the volume of wildlife present. You need to do some research beyond a quick question here to get a better idea of what you really want to do. I'd also like to point out that you've left it rather late to be planning a safari -- many accommodations can be sold out for up to a year in advance, and so you're unlikely to get the best "deals" at this time. That said, there's a list of very good outfitters for a Tanzanian safari on the Tanzania Forum (this page is the Serengeti Forum), up on the right hand side of the page, fourth bullet point. You can get a better idea of what's available if you contact several of these with an outline of what you'd like to do.

Again -- I suggest you not try to do too much for your first trip. Many people find themselves overwhelmed, rushed, and failing to really maximize the safari experience by trying to do too much. In two weeks, you can do a fantastic northern circuit safari. In two weeks you can also do an extremely rushed one-week Tanzanian safari combined with an expensive flight to South Africa and a quick drive through the wine country, without seeing much else. Bear in mind: distances in Africa are greater than they appear on the map. You're going to spend a LOT of time getting from one place to another. And these are not first-world countries. Stuff happens.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Best Safari experience/South Africa

Tanzania is home to an astonishing diversity and concentrations of wildlife,

From stustunning Serengeti and ngorongoro capture the true essence of Africa safari holiday as Kilimanjaro airport is good if you want to explore the northern part of the Tanzania national park such August the Northern circuit of the Serengeti is concentrations of wildlife special great migration Crossing season and other residents wild animals of Serengeti. The beauty of untainted nature, of great landscape where you will see no sign of fences or powerlines,the power of distant lion roars at night and cricket chirrups close around, the beauty of solitude and of that stirring entanglement of sight,sound and smell that is an African wilderness is what brings people to wild area of Serengeti

Fly to South Africa maybe check with www.Fastjet.com and for more information about south Africa is better if log in TA of South Africa or www.Afrisafari.com based in south Africa

3. Re: Best Safari experience/South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2017, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park