We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan my trip

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Please help me plan my trip

I am flying in to Nairobi July 2 8:45 PM and flying out of Nairobi July 9 11:15 PM

I am thinking of visiting Lake Nukuru on my last day(July 9th) - it will probably just be a day trip from Nairobi.

Since my trip starts and ends in Nairobi, I am thinking that Lake Nakuru would be a better choice than Lake Manyara.

I have read that Lake Nakuru is the best lake in the Kenya rift valley lake system(a UNESCO world heritage site) and hosts the greatest bird spectacle on earth.

I know that Lake Manyara is on the way and along the northern circuit but I dont know if I should choose it over Nakuru. Am I doing the right thing - Any thoughts?

I want to visit Ngorongoro and Central Serengeti - including the West Serengeti Grumeti area or a little south of it to hopefully see the migration.

I have July 3 - July 8 to do this. I will need this tour to start and end in Nairobi -

I am a solo traveller. What do you think my itinerary in Tanzania for this tour should be like - What to do when, where to stay?

Which tour operator will have a customized trip for me? How much will it cost? How can I get other people to join my trip and make it cheaper?

What do you think about my overall plan? Any suggestions or thoughts or better ideas ?

Edited: 02 March 2016, 03:12
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Please help me plan my trip

You're very confused, Nick.

The Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara are all in the nation of Tanzania. Lake Nkuru And Nairobi are in the nation of Kenya. Travel between the two countries is quite time-consuming.

When you speak of the "northern circuit," you're talking about the northern parks in Tanzania.

You have only five days. As you are arriving in and departing from Nairobi, Kenya, my advice would be to spend those five days in two Kenyan parks of your choice -- perhaps Amboseli and the Masaai Mara. It would be virtually impossible in only five days, to visit Lake Manyara, the Ngorongoro and the central Serengeti from Nairobi unless you plan to fly from camp to camp -- and even then, it would be incredibly time-consuming, leaving little time to see anything.

I think you need to post a similar set of questions over at the Kenya forum and ask for advice on how to maximize those five days in Kenyan parks. You'll have a much better experience. If you try to do too much -- and what you're contemplating is WAY too much -- in the limited time you have available, you'll just have a miserable and frustrating trip.

I love Tanzania, but I'd never try to do a 5-day safari there, beginning and ending in Nairobi.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
2. Re: Please help me plan my trip

Sandy,

Thanks a lot for your reply. My original post might have been confusing. Please let me try to clarify.

The main intent of this trip is to visit the Ngorongoro crater and the Serengeti(including the central(seronera) and western areas(Grumeti or a little south of it) to hopefully see the migration). These two parks are supposed to be the best in the world. They are UNESCO world heritage sites and not visiting these parks is not an option for me. Visiting Masai Mara and Amboseli instead of Ngorongoro and Serengeti will not mentally gratify me although the experience might be similar.

Since I will be flying in and out Nairobi, I am leaning towards Lake Nukuru(in my Nukuru vs Manyara debate - I dont have time for both). I have read that Lake Nakuru is the best lake in the Kenya rift valley lake system(a UNESCO world heritage site) and hosts the greatest bird spectacle on earth. I am planning to visit Lake Nukuru on my final day(July 9th) as a day trip before I catch a late night flight out of Nairobi. I know that Lake Manyara is conveniently located along the Northern circuit(in Tanzania) on my way to Serengeti/Ngorongoro but Nukuru seems more appealing.

Below is the outline of the itinerary I am thinking about. The time periods listed are just for reference and are flexible. I hope I gave the driving and the game viewing enough time in the itinerary to ensure there is no rush. Also, retreating to the hotel every night by 19:00 and starting the next day not earlier than 08:00 should keep me well rested. I did not include time for picnic/box lunch but I am hoping we will find time for a good lunch break-

--July 2(Saturday)

21:00 - Arrive at NBO

Retreat to a Nairobi hotel

--July 3(Sunday)

08:00-13:30 - shuttle to Arusha (http://www.aashuttles.com/ - 30USD)

14:00-18:00 - drive to Ngorongoro

Retreat to a Ngorongoro Hotel

--July 4(Monday)

08:00-12:00 - morning game drive in Ngorongoro

12:00-14:00 - Drive to Central Serengeti

14:00-18:00 - evening game drive in Central Serengeti

Retreat to a Central Serengeti Hotel

--July 5(Tuesday)

08:00-12:00 - morning game drive in Central Serengeti

12:00-14:00 - Drive to Western Serengeti

14:00-18:00 - evening game drive in Western Serengeti

Retreat to a Western Serengeti Hotel

--July 6(Wednesday)

08:00-12:00 - morning game drive in Western Serengeti

12:00-14:00 - Drive to Central Serengeti

14:00-18:00 - evening game drive in Central Serengeti

Retreat to a Central Serengeti Hotel

--July 7(Thursday)

08:00-12:00 - morning game drive in Central Serengeti

12:00-14:00 - Drive to Ngorongoro

14:00-18:00 - evening game drive in Ngorongoro

Retreat to a Ngorongoro Hotel

--July 8(Friday)

08:00-12:00 - drive to Arusha(stopping for game)

14:00-19:00 - shuttle to Nairobi (http://www.aashuttles.com/ - 30USD)

Retreat to a Nairobi hotel

--July 9(Saturday)

08:00-20:00 - day trip to lake Nukuru

23:15 - Depart NBO

I am travelling solo. I prefer a private room and bathroom but would rather share the ride with a small group to save money.

Which tour operator do you recommend? - I need someone that would entertain this custom itinerary and if possible find a small group for this itinerary.

Where do you suggest I stay? - I do not need luxury. Will booking my own room and paying the tour operator just for transport and guide service be cheaper?

How much do you think my trip will cost? What do you think about the overall plan? Do you see any concerns?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,176 posts
3. Re: Please help me plan my trip

I think the Tanzania part of the plan is okay if that are your interests. Any TO in Kenya can organize a day trip.

Also the day to lake Nakuru is also okay as you seem set on it.

I would go to the 4th post on the right of the Tanzanian forum there is a list of Tour operators email them and then get some idea of the costs from them. Each TO has different lodges that they like, once they are suggested then check the reviews.

For Ngorongoro I like the Wildlife lodge cheaper than some others, right on the Rim and for me the best location for views and access.

The verandah is worth a sit.

Camps in the Serengeti there are many mostly similar so wouldn't stress over that part too much.

Wouldn't book your own room it will be more expensive. get your TO to do everything for you.

Ask any of the TO's if they have a group tour for you, but because your trip is pretty different you will probably end up on your own...if you stick to your plan.

Cost $350 + pppn

I think I have covered a few points for you.

4. Re: Please help me plan my trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2016, 15:35
5. Re: Please help me plan my trip

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2016, 07:35
Amersham, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: Please help me plan my trip

Re Lake Nakuru, there are only a few Flamingoes there now following a significant rise in the water level. The rest of the wildlife viewing is great but don't expect to see the greatest bird spectacle on earth!

7. Re: Please help me plan my trip

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2017, 09:47