We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha taxi price

Budapest
Level Contributor
42 posts
From Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha taxi price

Hi !

We used to travel by our own and such details are important to be aquaited with in advance.

Please, recommend the budget way to get to Arusha from the Airport : is the taxi the only safe way to get to the place and what is the NORMAL price, which we must stick to, if we are 2 ?

By the way, it is not a problem to get taxi, and not a tout?

No regular bus from airport to Arusha ?

Realy Gratefull for any help to an independant traveller!

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: From Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha taxi price

Natan... There are a lot of taxis at the airport when most planes arrive. I typically have someone meet me at the airport, but occassionally I don't and need to take a taxi. If you come in by Precision Air or Air Tanzania they have a shuttle which goes from the airport to Arusha (I think the Precision Air shuttle costs 2,000 TSH and the Air Tanzania is free). The last time I took a taxi I negotiated (but not certain that you could do this) for 20,000 TSH, but I've heard of people paying up to $40 - $50 for the same. The TSH exchange rate is approximately 1,300 TSH = $1.

The very cheapest way would be to get to where you could catch a dala dala. I don't ride these as I don't think they're safe and they're always very crowded. You would probably need to get to the Arusha/Moshi road to catch a dala dala and you might pay 5,000 TSH each for a ride into Arusha or Moshi.

Budapest
Level Contributor
42 posts
2. Re: From Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha taxi price

Thank you, Karl!

One thing' s not clear: you have paid 20.000 TSH per taxi or per person? I mean if we take taxi, and we are 2, we pay 20.000 TSH in total, or we must pay twice for 2 of us?

May be my question sounds silly, but in Tanzania things look a bit different to other places: we've been to Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, India, Tibet and others, and there one was to pay per room, per vehicle,etc. and not per person in.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: From Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha taxi price

For a taxi you pay one price for the taxi. If you are sharing a room then you will get a double and pay for the double room. If you take a dala dala or a bus you will each pay for the fare.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: From Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha taxi price

I forgot to mention... for the 20,000 TSH price I had to negotiate very hard and they knew that I wasn't a tourist.

Budapest
Level Contributor
42 posts
5. Re: From Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha taxi price

Thank you, Karl!

I understand this!

6. Re: From Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha taxi price

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 00:46