We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone suggest an itinerary for the kogatende region?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone suggest an itinerary for the kogatende region?

Hi

We're planning a trip to Africa next year and one of the things we'd like to see is the wildebeest crossing of the Mara River. A few yrs ago we did the Northern circuit in Tanzania (Manyara, Serengeti, NG Crater) in early Feb and it was phenomenal so now we'd like to go to a different area and the wildebeest crossing sounds like an excellent thing to witness.

I've heard that the kogatende region is where this crossing happens and that the best time to see it is Sept/Oct. Can anyone verify this? Suggested itinerary (ie what else is there to see in that area)?

We'd probably go for 10 - 14 days and will do the private safari route again (ie only the 2 of us and our driver in the safari vehicle) as that worked out really well. Also, we want to keep our driving times/day to no more than 4 or 5 hrs.

Thanks for your help!

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone suggest an itinerary for the kogatende region?

Hi. In September or October... no doubt. Between these 2 months you will have higher chances of witnessing the crossing of wildebeests/zebras on migration in Kogatende area when they cross Mara river. Make sure you spend more days here than in other parks. I would advise you to spend at least 5 to 7 days in northern Serengeti. Also I would advise you to spend one day in western Serengeti, this is the Grumeti area. This is because the migration might sometimes be here, therefore, spending one night here it means that you are just "checking" if there is anything around here. Then you will head to northern Serengeti, that is Kogatende area. There is no guarantee but I hope this will work on witnessing the crossing.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone suggest an itinerary for the kogatende region?

Thanks so much for your advice Mwitunisafaris.

Edited: 12 April 2015, 21:41
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone suggest an itinerary for the kogatende region?

You are welcome

4. Re: Can anyone suggest an itinerary for the kogatende region?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2016, 10:45