We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fast jet

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fast jet

Hi

Was just about to book dar es salaam to kilimanjaro flights with precision air, when I stumbled across new airline fast jet.

Is it worth booking with fast jet?

Does anyone have any experiences with them?

Thanks in advance

Dawn

47 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fast jet

I have.

When I booked my flights you couldn't pay online so we had our tour operator pay the fees for us in person at the Arusha office. That wa s abit of a debacle because two of the tickets came back wjth names mispelt and it was a mission and I half to correct them. We tried without fail multiple times to call or email FastJet but they just never seemed to answer or respond. I believe you can now pay online so that should really alleviate those issues.

I took two flights. The first was DAR to JRO and the flight itself was perfectly fine. On time and efficient.

My next flight was supposed to be JRO to DAR however FastJet had changed their flight schedule, not informed us and we turned up to the airport to find the flight had left. There was nobody at the counter ans one of the airport managers helped us to book a new set of flights the following day and track down somebody from FastJet to confirm the tickets and that we wouldn't have to pay for them.

When he finally found somebody from FastJet they couldn't care less about what had happened and told us if we wanted a refund we would have to go to Arusha or DAR to get it. I don't think so! In the end the airport manager told them to get their stuff together and sort it out, which they did.

I know that shouldn't happen to everybody and for the cost and the flight really was fine so I think it will be hard to go by them. The $200+ Precision Air fligth from DAR to JRO was delayed twice while I was waiting for my FastJet flight.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fast jet

Our experience with FastJet has been good. Flights on time and no complaints. Precision has a history of baggage problems (but that is mostly from Nairobi to JRO). I am not surprised by the problem that agentM99 had. But FastJet is related to Easy Jet, and I know the same thing could happen with Easy Jet and no one would really care. Seems to be the disadvantage of cheap tickets. However, if the same thing had happened on Precision, I am also quote sure they would have made you purchase a new ticket and try to get a refund in Dar or Arusha.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fast jet

Hi Dawnie2013,

Unfortunately the preceding operations (those referred to by agent M99) under the brand and management of fly540 were far from perfect.

However, since fastjet's commercial and operational launch in November 2012 not a single flight has been cancelled or rescheduled. Over 100,000 passengers have now been flown with 99% of flights departing on time and 82% of flights arriving ahead of schedule.

After initial problems finding a suitable credit card solution, it is now possible to pay with credit and debit cards. The latter without charge.

My advice would be to fly with fastjet, which provides you the opportunity to feed back on your experience directly.

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fast jet

Thanks so much for your advice and info, I booked with fast jet via credit card on net with no issues.

Looking forward to my trip :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fast jet

In response to post #3 our incident occurred mid March 2013 and was a FastJet one not a Fly540 one.

From what we understood it wasn't a case of that single flight being cancelled or rescheduled, rather it was a case of the travel time on that route being changed. That obviously happened between the date I got my ticket and the date of the flight and nobody informed me.

Despite that I still think it would be hard to go past them. Pretty hard to beat a $25 flight.

Sydney
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fast jet

Hi Dawnie

I solely use fast jet these days for the following reasons.

Historically there were few competitors to Precision Air (Air Tanzania, fly 540) and travellers had to make do with flight cancellations, late flights, reselling of your tickets, poor website, lack of customer service. By all accounts the Tanzanian owners seem to have become comfortable in their monopoly and let customer service run down.

Along comes Fastjet, tried/proven business model, cheap fares, happy staff, on-time or better flight schedules, airport queues managed well, check in efficient . Online payment now makes booking so easy. Fastjet is also comprehensively training all their staff, pilots, cabin crew and ground crew so customer service is getting the Easy Jet treatment/makeover though this will take time as those who know Tanzania can well understand that customer service is not a concept that has been well understood, supported or trained out across all service industries.

Fast Jet will and has come across a few obstacles and they take significant market share (not for discussion on this forum) but they are hanging in there and learning the vagaries of affecting monopolies. Fast Jet will lead by example and who knows, others may see the light and follow this lead.

Paris, France
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fast jet

Anybody knows if, and when, Fastjet will open for booking the flights on July? I am looking forward to book a flight from dar to jro in July with Fastjet and it is only possible to book until 30 of June. I wrote several emails to the contact on their website but there seems to be no one available to answer them

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Fast jet

I would avoid this airline. I flew from Kilimanjaro to Zanzabar and bought the tickets face to face with the company, round trip. When I went to fly home, they were no longer flying out of Zanzabar. I was only gone 3 days. I missed my flight back to the U.S. They would not give me my money back.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fast jet

It's an issue of what airline will be the least worst. Precision Air is pretty dreadful -- I am an experienced traveler and have had many problems with Precision Air. On my last trip in November 2012 it took me more than an hour to sort out my JRO-DAR ticket -- even with the PRN and the ticket number! I will try Fastjet on my next trip.

Dar es Salaam...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fast jet

Yah infact fast jet is more reliable and worth for low and medium Tanzanians like us we customers we are asking the company to bring more airplanes to assist the poor Tanzanians

Reply to: Fast jet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted