We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selous vs Ruaha

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Selous vs Ruaha

I am going to Tanzania in february 2012. I can't decide where should I go? Nothern circuit not for my budget. I can't decide between Selous and Ruaha? Where is the beautiful scenery and more different animals? Where is better weather in february?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,542 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Selous vs Ruaha

Ruaha is higher / cooler, probably drier. It's also got good scenery but Selous isn't bad. Ruaha has many more baobabs! It has lesser kudu and cheetah which Selous doesn't have.

You'll probably see lion in both. Could also see leopard and wild dogs, plus a whole lot more.

Selous has more open plains and lakes and rivers, so has more variety (and boat and walking safaris), but Ruaha is huge (Selous is just 'very big', at least the portion you may see) .

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
2. Re: Selous vs Ruaha

The Selous and Ruaha parks are completely different than the north. You'll find the open plains in the north and the wildebeest calving in the Ndutu/Serengeti area.

Selous and Ruaha have lots of brush, game tends to be skittish and not used to vehicles, so often you can't get as close as if in the north. It's also very hot and humid here and the air can be very still, hard to breath.

How many days to you have?

And, how would you plan to get to Selous/Ruaha? Road or air? Road is quite time consuming for covering both.

However, at this late date, it might already be difficult finding space in the north as it's peak season. But I still can't imagine that if your budget is too small for a camping safari in the north, it would be that much cheaper in the south, where it's also hi-season.

Maybe others have input for outfitter who can assist with the southern parks.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3. Re: Selous vs Ruaha

Actually I decided go to Ruaha and then start to hesitate about itinerary. I'll travel around Tanzania for 2 weeks as a bacpaker. Serengeti and Ngorongoro for me ir too expensive. I should decide among Mikumi, Ruaha, Selous and Saadani. And last 4 days in Zanzibar.

4. Re: Selous vs Ruaha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2012, 15:46