We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access2Tanzania

Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Access2Tanzania

We used Access2Tanzania for our trip and really liked working with Karen Stupic (karen@access2tanzania.com). She helped us plan places to go and make our travel arrangements. We camped for two nights outside Tarangire, stayed at Crater View Inn for a night, camped for three nights in Ngorongoro and Serengeti, and then stayed at the Mbalageti Lodge. We then went to Mwanza and flew to Rubondo Island for four nights. Our guide, Mohammed, was absolutely fabulous. He was one of the best parts of the whole trip. I would HIGHLY recommend asking for him. He has a great eye for spotting animals and knows a huge amount about wildlife. My wife and I had no prior interest in birds, but Mohammed made it interesting and got us excited about it. Our cook, Wilfred, was also fabulous. He cooked a huge amount of food when we were camping, and we never got sick. I would definitely recommend going with Access2Tanzania if you're looking for someone to help with a trip to anywhere in Tanzania.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,951 posts
448 reviews
1. Re: Access2Tanzania

Please record your view on Rubondo Island.

How did you get there and what were your impressions.

Otters and Sitatunga. Flycatchers Camp or TANAPA Camp?

Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Access2Tanzania

We used Auric Air to take a charter there. It's possible to take a bus from Mwanza to Muganza and then take a boat, but decided to spend the extra money for the 30 minute flight. It had been about a month since the last time flew into the island, but there aren't many tourists that go to Rubondo. We stayed at the Rubondo Island Camp. They met us at the airstrip and took us to the lodge. The lodge is no longer owned by Flycatchers (they owned it for only a few years). We thoroughly enjoyed our time there. It was so peaceful, tranquil, and idyllic. There were sitatunga and bushbucks just outside our tent. Also saw a suni. Lots of black kites and grey parrots around, not to mention all the waterbirds. We saw a few otters from the beach. There are a multitude of vervet monkeys around.

The location is very off the beaten path and not many come there. This has it's good and bad effects. There were only four other people staying there when we went (there are a total of 12 tents), which meant we really felt like we had the place to ourselves. We could eat, use the pool, or just hang out and feel like the place was ours. The downside is that we wanted to go for a walk around the island, but the only guide was from TANAPA, who was very nice, but not really a tour guide-type. We were also interested in seeing birds (for which Rubondo is great), but he didn't know much about these. The Camp has hired guides in the past, but because not many people come there, they couldn't retain them.

We went for a boat-ride to look at crocodiles and more birds (we also did some unexpected anti-poaching work pulling up fishing lines). Again, this was more self-guided.

The facilities were nice. The "tent" is really more like a cabin. We had hot water each night, but asked for it at other times without a problem. The service was excellent. The food was plentiful and good. We never got sick. On Friday night they had dinner on the beach with a bonfire. It's one of the most romantic meals we've ever had!

We walked by the TANAPA camp, which looked pretty decent. The cabins looked solid, though we didn't get too close to them. There are really no facilities on the island, so you'd have to bring your own food to cook.

We then used Auric Air to fly back to Mwanza (they were there at the airstrip at the appointed time), and took a Precision Air flight back to Dar.

Overall, Rubondo Island was a great break between the hustle and bustle of the safari circuit and Zanzibar. Very tranquil. It's a mixed bag in that there are very few other people there, but if you're looking to escape from the world, it's a great place.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,185 posts
3. Re: Access2Tanzania

Great report with really good detail I haven't been there but always wanted to and is on my list of places to visit when I am next on safari.

Do you know who owns it now by any chance.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,951 posts
448 reviews
4. Re: Access2Tanzania

Thanks for that comprehensive report. You shared my views on Rubondo and were probably there at around the same time (end May?) A plane did land as we were on a walk.

We used the TANAPA cottages and found them ideal. We also crossed from Muganza which was 'interesting' in the strong winds.

We did visit the Tented Lodge which was only a short walk away.

Sorry about the guides. Ours was fine and quite birdy. We did several long walks, Pongo Hill and down the south of the Island.

We also shared the Poacher's spoils, 40 Tilapia around 1Kg. We ate well that night. We had a cook and cold beer supply so all was well.

Anyway. It is a place to savour however you get there. I just hope it does not get too popular.

Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Access2Tanzania

I can't remember the name of the company the owns the place now. It's listed on the African Conservancy Company's website, but I can't remember if they are the owners or not.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,185 posts
6. Re: Access2Tanzania

I did find out. It is owned by the Patels the same family that own Kikoti at Tarangire.

7. Re: Access2Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 11:46