We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

midwest ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

I am a 48 year old white female in reasonable health traveleing from June 23 to July 8 to Tanzania on a mission trip with 27 others.

I have all my immunizations and a perscription for Mefloquine.

I was told today that this drug is not the best choice for women due to side effects such as severe depression and Hallucinations that last long after the trip.

All comments and suggestions are requested.........

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,301 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

I'd love to help, but my medical knowledge is gleaned from

www.wrongdiagnosis.com

and personal experience, none of which is relevant to you.

FWIW, I would be more worried about Malaria, than anti-malarials. And consult a travel clinic who know what they are talking about. My 2cents.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
976 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

I am going to Tanzania about the same time frame as you. I visited my travel clinic and they gave me an extra 7 days worth of pills to try the malerone incase it bothered me. Both my husband and I tried it for the week and had no problems with it what so ever. The other alternatives aren't great either If your doctor is ok with letting you try it, this might alleviate any anxiety you are having. If it is problematic for you then at least you'll know before your trip. We took it with a good breakfast and the directions said it help to go down best with a good meal and some dairy. I was concerned about stomach upset, but no problems!

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

curiousinohio, I've been on two trips last year and both times taken Malerone, 2 days before, during the trip and for 5 days afterwatds. I've had no side effects of any sort. I'm in my 40's and average in fitness. Have a great trip, I'm off to Selous & Ruaha on the 15th for 12 nights on my first experience of Tanzania.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

I have been on Larium (brand name for Mefloquine) continuously for over a year and not had any difficulty. I have only seen one person have difficulty with Larium and and he had been taking it for quite some time and began to have psychedelic nightmares.

One thing for certain, you need to take something. Malaria is a killer disease, so find out what you can do and take that and take it religiously. If you read all the side effects for drugs you would never take any.

Where in NW Ohio are you from? I'm from Findlay OH

midwest ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

Thanks - I think the Malarone may be a better choice for me from what I researched. Every drug has some possibility of side effects - I am just trying to find the right fit for me,

I am in west central Ohio - very familiar with Findlay! My daughter will be going to college in Tiffin in the fall. Small world.

Dublin
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

I lived in Tanzania in 1999-01 and took larium for the two years with no side effects however other family members experienced some. On recent visits back i have taken malarone which has been recommended to me, and i didn't experience any side effects and im going back again this year and taking malarone again... so id have to recommend malarone too...

Warsaw
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

I am leaving for Tanzania tomorrow and today I'm starting on Malarone. It's the most convenient of the drugs (you take one pill one day before, every day during and a week after the trip).

One of my friends' dad worked in Tanzania as a WHO expert about 30 years ago for a few years. At that time he took doxyciline and now he strongly advises against it - apparently, it is bad for your eyes and liver.

I've been on lariam before for a month and had no side effects whatsoever.

Cheers

Tomek

nyc
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

I've taken both Lariam, years back and Malarone when it became available. No side-effects with either... no depression, hallucinations, etc.

On my most recent visit I took Lariam as it was less expensive than the Malarone. Even though I was able to purchase both thru my drug plans at reduced rates. $35 for 3/weeks* of Malarone tabs or $7 for 3/weeks* on Lariam... easy enough decision.

*in-country time, now including those taken before and on return.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

Mefloquine (aka Lariam) is reported to give some nasty psychological side effects, while malarone, in my reading, presents much less problems, if any. Personally, I would avoid Lariam. I've taken malarone during all my trips to Southern and Eastern Africa with no obvious side effects.

Here's just a little extra on malaria:

Malaria prevention follows the ABCD rules:

A. Be Aware of the risk, the incubation period and the main symptoms

B. Avoid being Bitten by mosquitoes, especially between dusk and dawn (which would include using DEET)

C. Take antimalarial drugs (Chemoprophylaxis) to suppress infection where appropriate

D. Immediately seek Diagnosis and treatment if a fever develops one week or more after entering an area where there is a malaria risk, and up to 3 months after departure.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malarone? Mefloquine? Doxycycline? your experience

And the most important thing is to always sleep under a bed net. The mosquito which carries the bug bites at night, so by sleeping under a bed net and taking malaria prophylaxis medications you won't need to worry about the rest.