We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiction regarding Africa

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
70 reviews
Fiction regarding Africa

Hi all,

I did a search on here but all I got was pages and pages of guide books....I just finished reading Wilbur Smith's "Assegai" and it was really good, I mean, I totally devoured it...it took place back in the very early 1900's in "British East Africa" and is about an ex-soldier turned big game hunter that guides rich and powerful Americans and Europeans on their big game hunts, with some spy stuff too....

My interest is peaked! Can anyone recommend some good "safari" fiction I might enjoy?

-Surf:)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
1. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

Most of wilbur smiths are good if a little formulaic.

I am not sure if "The Big Footprints" by Hammond Innes is in Paperback but try that.

Also "A wild life" by Dick Pitman, Not fiction but a good read.

Not strictly "Safari fiction" but get a copy of "A guide to the Birds of East Africa" by Nicholas Drayson. NB. Ignore the title it is NOT a bird book.

"Shout at the Devil". good read.

Edited: 12 May 2010, 03:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,620 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

Agree - read more Wilbur smith. Aiden Hartley, lots and lots of South African writers....

State College...
Level Contributor
803 posts
238 reviews
3. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

Know you said fiction but if you are not adversed to hunting you might enjoy African Game Trails, the journal by Theodore Roosevelt while on his trip through much of Africa. Also, A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa by Frederick Selous. Thoroughly enjoyed the Birds of East Africa and the Wilbur Smith Series.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
4. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

Other fiction and non-fiction books set in East Africa during the first world war.

Fiction

William Boyd’s “An Ice Cream War”

C.S. Forester’s “The African Queen” and two easy reading non -fiction books about the true events which Foresters book was loosely based, Peter Shankland’s” The Phantom Flotilla” and Giles Fodyn’s “Mimi and Toutou Go Forth”.

M.G. Vassanji’s “The Book of Secrets”

William Stevenson’s “The Ghosts of Africa”

Non Fiction books about East Africa during the first world war.

Charles Miller’s “The Battle for the Bundu”

Brian Gardner’s “On To Kilimanjaro

Edward Hoyt’s “The Germans Who Never Lost”

Mfuwe mentions Wilbur Smiths “Shout at the Devil” which is loosely based on the historically factual German raider the “Konigsberg” which was eventually sunk in the Rufiji delta, and some of the action of Lee Marvin’s character in the movie of the same name and in the book, is based on Frederick Selous involvement with the Konigsberg. Two non-fiction books on the incident are E. Keble Chatterton’s two books “Severn” and “Konigsberg”

Leaving the first WW alone now, other works of fiction set in West Africa, are William Boyd’s “A Good Man in Africa” and “Brazzaville Beach” and “Mr. Jones” . Nicholas Monsarrat’s two books “The Tribe that Lost its Head” and “Richer than all His Tribe”.

Who could leave out Ernest Hemmingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” which apart from the name is not set completely in East Africa and his “The Green Hills of Africa”, which about his travels and hunting exploits around Manyara and Babati and further south.

Giles Fodyn has also written a fictional novel “Zanzibar

An excellent non-fiction book which is an excellent history of the East African coast is Richard Hall’s “Empires of the Monsoon”.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

Thank you all so much, I appreciate the help and these titles should keep me busy for a while!

none
8 posts
6. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

Wow your knowledge about EA literature is huge! Would you have any suggestions for somewhat romantic literature? After having seen and read several frightning movies / stories and historic reports I need some beauty as preparation for my journey. I don't always want to have to think about the crimes.

none
8 posts
7. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

Wow your knowledge about EA literature is huge! Would you have any suggestions for somewhat romantic literature? After having seen and read several frightning movies / stories and historic reports I need some beauty as preparation for my journey. I don't always want to have to think about the crimes.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

none2010-

Wilbur Smith's "Assegai", as mentioned in my first post, was a love story as well as a hunting safari...that is partially why I liked it so much, I have a dreadful romantic streak! Love, manly men, animals and danger, set in the mysterious landscape of East Africa....what more could a girl want?

LOL!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
9. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

Hammond Inness's "Big Footprint" has a touch of romance in it (but still readable in spite of it. Ooooo!)

"Guide to Birds of East Africa " will appeal to the Girl gets Boy fans. Dam. spoiled the plot.

10. Re: Fiction regarding Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 12:46