We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for Christmas/New Year's Trip

New York, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for Christmas/New Year's Trip

We will be spending ten days on safari (Tarangire, Ngorongoro and Serengeti) and then three days on the beach by Pangani. (We'll be at Emayani Lodge - anyone know it?) I think I understand that it's likely to be hot with some rain during the day, and that we can probably wear light pants or shorts and short-sleeve shirts and then go to long sleeve and long pants dusk to dawn. Is this correct? Then my real question is how cool is it likely to get at night or early morning - do we need a fleece jacket or just a light sweater?

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Pangani
Pangani
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,311 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for Christmas/New Year's Trip

I think you have just about got the clothing right.

Try layers up in the Highlands and adjust to what you feel necessary. Some people find the mornings a bit chilly especially on Game Drives before sun up.

Emayani Beach Lodge www.emayanilodge.com is owned by the same folk that own Tarangire Safari Lodge so the standard will be about the same. I like Tarangire Saf Lodge but have not been down to the coast.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Tarangire Safari Lodge
990 Reviews
Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for Christmas/New Year's Trip

Mornings/evenings will be cool at Tarangire & Serengeti. At Ngorongoro 7,000' it can be downright cold... depending on your own body. You need some coverup, whether fleece or heavy sweater... though you're not usually outside for too long at night. But in mornings on game drives with wind picking up at faster speeds... something warm to wear. I'd rather have, than not and be uncomfortable.

On the coast, it'll be humid regardless time of year. And by end Dec, Tanzania summer... it's hot.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for Christmas/New Year's Trip

A fleece will be in the way for most of the time and you'll probably only need it at the Ngorongoro rim. Don't know how sensitive you are to cool air. I'd throw it in the bag (you'll probably need it for going to the airport in NY), won't hurt anything. During the day it will be hot, at Pangani it will be humid and you'll likely get rain especially during the mornings.

I just talked to some friends there (South of Mwanza, which is past the Western Serengeti) and it's raining a lot there this year. I was happy about that, good crops and the miners will be able to move more dirt.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Pangani
Pangani
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
New York, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for Christmas/New Year's Trip

Thank you all - I think I've got about the right idea now. I guess the only thing to add to my list is a raincoat or poncho!

5. Re: Clothing for Christmas/New Year's Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 17:48