We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tanzania in june 2009

kodiak, alaska
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
tanzania in june 2009

Hi, I'm having trouble finding forums on here without just following Karl through it all. I am trying to book a personal tour for 6-8 to Tanzania in June of 09. We want to stay midrange, with nice tents, not on the ground, but not in big 200 people luxury hotels. I have been in touch with Msafiri Travels but cannot find anything about them from people who have used them. We want 8-10 days for plus or minus $2000. Is that reasonable? I want to book early so I can use my airmiles from Alaska.

I'll take any and all suggestions!

cid in Kodiak

Melbourne
Level Contributor
97 posts
1. Re: tanzania in june 2009

cid

Hi some ideas on costings the park fees for Lake Manyara and Tarangire are US$ 35 ppp24 hour period

the Serenegtiand NGO are US$ 50 per person per 24 hour period

If camping in public campsites in the Serenegti/NGO the camp fees are US$ 30 per person per 24 hour period

to transit Ngo Conservation area is US$ 50 per person and to make a trip into the crater is US$ 200 extra for each vehicle

For 8 people if camping you would need 2 vehicles at a cost of about 220 to 250 US$ per day each. In 2009 it will probably be more as the price of fuel is going up daily.

You can stay at permanent tented camps which have better facilities than public campsite but the price difference is a lot higher

so for a 8 to 10 day camping safari in public campsites you are looking at US$ 140 min for park fees and the cost of a 4whd with 4 people in each car this is without transiting NGO and visiting the crater

hope this gives you some idea

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: tanzania in june 2009

I have just been through the research process for our own safari in July of 2009. Some other companies to look at that might be able to meet your budget requirements are:

Swala Safaris

Roy Safaris

Sunny Safaris

Basecamp Tanzania

Good Earth Tours

Most of these should be able to provide you with a safari in the midrange and are well known. All of them have gotten decent reviews on this forum as well as on Fodors.

My guess is that based on your criteria, you will not be able to get off for less than $300-$350 per person/per day. There are others on the forum that may have more experience that can give you a better idea of what it should cost!

kodiak, alaska
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
3. Re: tanzania in june 2009

WOW, That answers a lot of questions about how the prices add up. Just throw in some food and up it goes some more. I will keep your numbers in my note book to help me keep it in perspective. cid

4. Re: tanzania in june 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2008, 22:13
kodiak, alaska
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
5. Re: tanzania in june 2009

Ikoda, thank you for your information. I tried to call but the ph. number was wrong. I am looking with 3 different companies now. How many days did you go? Did you stay in lodges? How much did it cost? I am getting quotes that are all very different. thanks, cid in alaska

arizona
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: tanzania in june 2009

Hi We are planning June/July 2009 also.

Be aware the park fees and camping fees in all the parks have increased A LOT. We found that this really pushed the prices up. I received a list from one of the tour operators as to the new prices. I googled Tanzania park fees and he was right on. We are getting prices back on BUDGET CAMPING of $200 per day per person. This is a lot less than the type of tents you are talking about. Keep in mind that the cost to get there is going to be about $2500 so what's a few hundred dollars onto a safari!!! It's only money!! Africa is worth every penny.

7. Re: tanzania in june 2009

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 17:26
8. Re: tanzania in june 2009

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 10:48